Arduino Nano burned?

Hi

I have an Arduino Nano with a little problem... honestly I think I burned it but I'm here to check if it's really gone or if there is some hope. On the Internet there are some similar cases but my problem seems a little different.

It was working until today when I did my project connections with Arduino and powered it up. Initialy it worked fine but after I pressed a button in the project it stopped (I don't know if it stopped because I pressed the button or if it stopped a little earlier). This button I've tested some weeks ago and worked and I know it's not a project error but I may have placed the wire on the wrong digital pin, honestly I don't know. I powered it down and after a small check I powered up again and the L led stayed on high permanently with all other output digital pins.

After some tries I then removed the Arduindo from the circuit and noticed that the L led turned off. I realized that it turns on when I touch D2 (which is an output in my project) or when I put the Arduino back to the protoboard (with all connections removed). Here a small video:

https://youtu.be/4WowCBFyRQE

After all that, I tried to reupload my sketch to Arduino but now I'm receiving the avrdude error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00. When the IDE show me the upload is starting the RX led blinks 3 times and after nearly 30 seconds the error shows up.

Is there something I can try or I need to buy a new one?

Tks

Hi, welcome to the forum.

When the sketch reads the pin D2 it is possible. An open input is very sensitive. That DCCduino could have a counterfeit ftdi chip.

Perhaps you could try a programmer (using the 6-pin ICSP header), but you probably need a new Arduino board.

Could it be that your sketch continues to run? Are there any pins set INPUT in the last sketch you used (ie, not INPUT_PULLUP) that could float, and hence trigger things happening due to noise?

(would the responses of the LED be consistent with that?)

Failing that, have you confirmed that only putting it onto the proto-board works? Or does it happen when you push the board down onto anything (suggesting a bad solder joint on the board)?

Peter_n: Hi, welcome to the forum.

When the sketch reads the pin D2 it is possible. An open input is very sensitive. That DCCduino could have a counterfeit ftdi chip.

Perhaps you could try a programmer (using the 6-pin ICSP header), but you probably need a new Arduino board.

Thanks! Yes I agree, but the annoying thing here is D2 in my sketch is an output and it has no relation with D13/L led.

I think it's easier to buy a new one, at least these nanos are cheap.

I'm a little angry about this not because I burned it, but because I don't know exactly what gone wrong...

DrAzzy: Could it be that your sketch continues to run? Are there any pins set INPUT in the last sketch you used (ie, not INPUT_PULLUP) that could float, and hence trigger things happening due to noise?

(would the responses of the LED be consistent with that?)

Failing that, have you confirmed that only putting it onto the proto-board works? Or does it happen when you push the board down onto anything (suggesting a bad solder joint on the board)?

I don't think so. There are 3 inputs, 2 buttons on D9 and D10 and 1 voltage reader on A0. This part of the circuit is very similar to the official arduino tutorials.

In my sketch the response of the L led is based only on time (millis()). It turns on even seconds and turns off on odd seconds, so on normal use it should blink, but now it is reacting as if it's linked to D2. That's the reason I think my sketch is not running.

About putting it to the protoboard, I don't think it's a bad solder joint because I barely touched it and there are many strange things happening. D2 in my sketch is an output but now is acting as an input, the L led should be blinking but now it's seems to be linked with D2 and the worst part is I can't anymore upload sketches to the Arduino.

I could be two different problems, the sketch with millis() and the led and D2, and also the Nano no longer able to upload. Could you show us your sketch (between code tags) ?