Arduino Nano + CAN-BUS

Hello,

is it possible to use a Nano to read and write some telegrams from can-bus in the use of a can-bus tranciever and canbus controller f.eg. MCP2515 and MCP 2551, as shown in this schematic:

I searched through the forum, but didn't find a answer for my question, especially if it can work with a nano. The problem is, that in the mounting place, there is not much space for the electronic.
I'm a electronic technician and from industrial automation i have a big knowledge of the CANbus system, but not about the arduino's. A friend of me, is playing around with nano's at very low level, but couldn't help me. Thankyou for any help.

epku

Nano use the same MCU as UNO, ATMega328, but in different package (QFN vs DIP), no other differences in hardware or software. Just check the pinout (google "arduino nano pinout") and make the relative connection. Software is the same for both.

Cheers, Ale.

Also the Arduino Due already has a 2 port can-bus controller built in.

Also the Arduino Due already has a 2 port can-bus controller built in.

.. but is way bigger than the Nano and @epku said

that in the mounting place, there is not much space for the electronic.

So go with the Nano, it's a fine little MCU which I use very often in my projects.

rpt007:
.. but is way bigger than the Nano and @epku said

So go with the Nano, it's a fine little MCU which I use very often in my projects.

The shield is for a Uno not a Nano.

@ieee488:

you are right, but the TO didn’t say that he will be going with the SparkFun shield. He was only referring to the schematics.

So he can go with a Nano, and built a shield or an extra adapter board with same hardware as the original can-bus shield. This has already been done by somebody else in this forum:

Here is the link which also includes some useful information about the required library.

rpt007:
@ieee488:

you are right, but the TO didn't say that he will be going with the SparkFun shield. He was only referring to the schematics.

So he can go with a Nano, and built a shield or an extra adapter board with same hardware as the original can-bus shield. This has already been done by somebody else in this forum:

Here is the link which also includes some useful information about the required library.

If he is going to use the schematic, what is the problem?

If he is going to use the schematic, what is the problem?

I don't understand what you wanna tell me.

You said, that the shield is UNO size.
I said yes, but he is going to use the schematics and not the shield, so what are you telling me?

rpt007:
I don't understand what you wanna tell me.

You said, that the shield is UNO size.
I said yes, but he is going to use the schematics and not the shield, so what are you telling me?

My question is why is there a question. He has a schematic. He wants to use a Nano.
I don't understand where the problem is.

Imho the original question is solved as he wanted to know if he could build can-bus with Nano.
And the discussion concluded in a clear yes.

rpt007:
Imho the original question is solved as he wanted to know if he could build can-bus with Nano.

No, the question is whether the Nano will work with the CAN-bus "shield" he wants to build.

And the answer would depend on
1.) whether the Nano and the Uno were similar or not -- easily researched by Googling
2.) whether he would be capable of building the "shield" himself from assembled parts -- only the OP would know himself

Thankyou all gay's! For first time I'm happy and you helped me a lot! Actually i found this board:

which matches with my existing industrial PLC, because there are RJ45 sockets for can-bus, too, incl. powersupply.
So i can use common patchcables for wireing.
As i understud, for programming, it's the same, I use a nano or uno or leonardo, so for first tests, I will order a Leonardo, which costs only 1€ more then a nano.
The advantage will be, it fit's with the connectors of the shield.
In step 2, when testperiod is finished, i will search for the smallest solution, f.eg. creating a board with the parts of the can-bus shield + nano + neccesarry pheripherie like sensors or inputs/transistor outputs/relais etc.

Sorry if there are mistakes in my english, it's not my motherlanguage...

Please note that Leonardo use different MCU and different pinout , specially regarding SPI bus that your shield use. I think it’s better if you ask them if is compatible with Leonardo before buying.

Cheers, Ale.