Arduino Nano (CH340) MIDI using HIDuino - problem

Hi all, first post for me here...

After banging my head against the wall for the past couple of days I've decided to ask this and hope someone has a solution (if there is one at all).

So I want to use an Arduino Nano as my midi device using HIDuino. I have a few of these (Nanos) so I also use it as an ISP programmer. They are all clones with CH340 instead of the FTDI one (should this affect anything?).

at first: I've flashed HIDUINO_MIDI.hex using avrdude using the following command:

avrdude -p ATMEGA328P -F -P COM5 -c avrisp -b 19200 -U flash:w:HIDUINO_MIDI.hex \ -U lfuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0xF4:m -U lock:w:0x0F:m

I get a:

verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x000
0xf4 != 0x04
verification error: content mismatch

I don't know if that's such a tragedy but I've tried continuing nevertheless... At this stage, when using Windows, the device appears as USB-serial CH340. I've uploaded, using my arduino programmer, one basic MIDI sketch - but the device is not recognized, nor sending any midi signals (although it does flash rx when it should).

I've also tried flashing 'usbserial_uno_16u2.hex' but still the same.

One last thing, I've seen somewhere that arduino nano might have a problem with midi over usb because of how its built. If that's any true, which other smaller version of arduino can I use? I have to fit it into a very small package so Uno is out of the question...

I have searched the web over and over but I couldn't find help in this..

Thanks in advance, Iftach

For people having the same problem: I got a reply from the guy who made HIDuino on his git:

https://github.com/ddiakopoulos/hiduino/issues/17#issuecomment-70418116

He basically says that HIDuino will not work on boards that use CH340 (or FTDI for that matter) for USB communication. Arduino Nano, micro and for all I know all the other smaller boards are in that category.

Uno, Due and Mega, however, use an ATmega16u2 (or 8u2) chip for USB communication. That ATmega chip is flashed with the HIDuino.

This is a late answer, but if you still want to use the nano clones as a MIDI controller, you can use programs like hairless-midi to convert serial messages to midi. You will also need a virtual midi port to send the midi messages to (for example loop midi).

Hairless MIDI loopmidi