Arduino Nano Clone doesn't accept uploads

Hey! So I’ve bought an arduino nano and it refuses to get anything uploaded to it.

I’ve ruled out a cable malfunction as my other Arduino Nano that’s genuine works just fine. I’ve installed the CH340 drivers and they’re recognized in device manager. I can see the COM port the nano is connected to in the arduino IDE but whenever the sketch is uploaded it spits out this error.

“avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xfa
avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: Access is denied.”

I’ve tried everything I’ve found online, and I’ve been debugging this for like a week now, so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried the different processor option in tools → processor in the IDE? 328P, 328P (old boot loader), 168.

A recent (less than 2 years old, I think) genuine Nano uses the 328P; older genuine ones and most (or all) clones the 328P (old bootloader) and some clones and maybe very old genuine Nanos the 168.

I have tried this yes, as well as reflashing the bootloader using my other arduino.

Did you select the correct port in the IDE?

If yes
Please enable verbose output during upload and disable verbose output during compilation under file → preferences in the IDE and post the complete output here.

I’ve selected the same COM port (COM6) that shows up in device manager once I plug in the arduino. And it only shows up in the IDE once I plug it in, so I should be selecting the correct port.

Here’s the complete output.

Arduino: 1.8.14 Hourly Build 2021/04/09 02:33 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

Problem uploading to board.  See https://support.arduino.cc/hc/en-us/sections/360003198300 for suggestions.

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619

Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\arduino-nightly\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM6

Using Programmer              : arduino

Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x16

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x16

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x16

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x16

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x16

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x16

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x16

avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Access is denied.

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x16

avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x16

avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x16

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: Access is denied.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

I think that this is the problem. But no idea how to solve it :frowning:

I had a similar problem with my nano, If I have anything at all connected to the tx and rx pins (even just some header pins) it won’t upload.

I appreciate the effort! Thanks so much.

Restart the computer without the board plugged in.
Download and extract 1.8.13 if the IDE
Start the new IDE
Plug in the board
Select the correct COM port and board
Try uploading a blank sketch.

Provided there is nothing wrong with the hardware, uploading CH340 Nanos is no problem.
In the IDE, go to Tools, select Nano, go to Processor ATmega and select ATmega 328P (old bootloader)
If it works, you can give me a point - it works for me every time.
I’m not a fan of buying clones and I think that you should buy at least a few genuine Arduino products to support the cause.
Uno’s at least don’t use a USB to serial chip like the original FTDI FT232RL and now use a 16U ATmega chip.
The CH340 chip is a cheap copy of the FTDI chip, so you can’t expect to get the same support when you buy a clone.

Update in case anyone finds this with the same problem. Although my other Arduino Nano uploaded perfectly with the same cable I tried using with the “broken” one, I got my hands on a new cable and that, for some reason, worked immediately.

I’m truly unsure of what’s wrong and why a cable would work with the genuine Arduino but not the clone and another would work with them both, but oh well!

Thank you to everyone who tried to help!

It would be useful to all if you checked out the pin to pin continuity of the two cables.
Use a meter and some paper clips to touch on the pins.
I’m assuming this is a bog standard passive USB cable and not a fancy one with a built in USB-serial chip.
It’s unusual, but not impossible, for cables to have breaks or even incorrect pinning.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.