Arduino Nano not getting power from my computer but uno is.

Hi I have been working on a project that is hard but should not be this hard for over a year and what happened at first was I got it to work on my Arduino Uno and then I wanted to make it smaller so I built on my Arduino Nano and it would not upload to the board. Then I fixed the problem and then it was working but now when I plug it in it is like it is not plugged in I cannot upload the code and when you go to tools -- ports the thing that says ports is gray, and the light on the board does not blink that is what it is when no board is plugged in. However, when I plug my Uno in and switch the board to Uno in the Arduino IDE it works fine what could be the problem.

Thanks so much

Did the arduino nano ever work?

Does the power light on the nano come on?

Is the nano a clone? If it's a clone, it probably has a different serial adapter (generally a CH340G) - check the part number on the chip on the underside of the board (it will probably be CH340G or CP2102 - official ones use an FT232). If CP2102 or CH340G, google that part number, the version of your OS, and the word drivers, download and install.

Also try a different USB cable with the Nano, if you are using a cable that came with a phone charger some of those are power-only cables and lack the data connections.

I have had issues with some of those USB connectors and especially some cheap cables from China.

It is like the turning lights in some not too bright villages. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It is On and Off all the time. :confused:

@DrAzzy yes it did work my project was working and when I would plug it in a light would blink to show me it was getting power. Also, no, this is not a cheap clone from china I bought it off the official Arduino website.

Thanks so much.

@David_NC, okay I will try that but I am using a USB cable that came with the board. Also what should I use, just any cable or do I have to order a specific one, and when I plug my Nine Volt battery into the board it still odes not get power so does that mean it is a problem with the board.

Thanks so much

ChickenLittle:
what should I use, just any cable or do I have to order a specific one

You can use any USB cable. There's nothing special about the one that came with your board. Make sure the cable is completely plugged into the board.

ChickenLittle:
when I plug my Nine Volt battery into the board it still odes not get power so does that mean it is a problem with the board.

It makes it seem more likely. There is a power LED on the board that should be lighting up whenever it's powered (whether via USB or battery), no matter what. Are you not even getting that light?

Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the voltage on the VIN and 5V pins of the Nano.

No, there is no light. And okay I will do that but how do I measure the voltage of them there is only one pin. On a battery to measure the voltage you put the pin on the positive and negative ends. Should I put the positive thing from the multimeter on the 5v pin and the negative one on the GND pin at the same time and I should get 5v or do I have to do it another way. If I do have to do it a different way please tell me what to do.

Thanks so much.

When I do it the way I said I do it above I get 1. which is what I always get when I just turn it on again not sure if I am doing it write please tell me if I am I showed above how I measure it.

Thanks so much.

ChickenLittle:
Should I put the positive thing from the multimeter on the 5v pin and the negative one on the GND pin at the same time

That’s correct.

ChickenLittle:
I should get 5v

You should get about 5 V from the 5V pin.

ChickenLittle:
When I do it the way I said I do it above I get 1. which is what I always get when I just turn it on again

Do you have the multimeter set to voltage mode?

Yes I do have it on voltage it is on 20V that is what it should be on right?

Thanks so much.

If that is correct having it on 20V and I do not get 5V on my multimeter that means my board is the problem right? And I would need to get a new one right?

Thanks so much.

I just built it with my Uno again and it works great so I think the problem is the board I just need to get another Nano.

Thanks for all your help.

20 V is the correct setting.