Arduino NANO not uploading

When I attempt to get board info from my Arduino NANO, I receive a message saying "Native serial port, can't obtain info."
If I attempt to upload my sketch to the NANO, I get the following error message:
Sketch uses 7090 bytes (23%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 265 bytes (12%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1783 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0a
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0a
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

I've been troubleshooting for a week or so, but haven't made any progress. What can I do?
Thanks!

There was an update that results in a new entry under the nano menu (something with old bootloader). If you have that entry, try it.

I just bought a genuine nano from arduino's own website and could not communicate to it whatsoever using any of the nano bootloader options. Turns out it recognized itself as an arduino uno rather than a nano. Try uploading as an uno and see if it makes a difference.

sterretje:
There was an update that results in a new entry under the nano menu (something with old bootloader). If you have that entry, try it.

The old bootloader option appears but still shows the same error message.
Could it be that there are no ports showing other than port 1?

Original board or clone? For the latter, you might need the CH340 driver; check the chip at the other side of the board; you probably need a magnifying glass :wink:

@McNibbler I had exactly the same experience - brand new genuine Arduino Nano. However, until I identified the board as Arduino/Genuine Uno I could not upload any sketch. This is indeed totally messed up. Anyone know what is going on?

(One more observation: the 'L' led blinked with a one second on and off cycle.)

djmauro:
@McNibbler I had exactly the same experience - brand new genuine Arduino Nano. However, until I identified the board as Arduino/Genuine Uno I could not upload any sketch. This is indeed totally messed up. Anyone know what is going on?

(One more observation: the 'L' led blinked with a one second on and off cycle.)

Update the AVR board package using board manager to 1.6.21 (1.6.22 and 1.6.23 have a new bug) - then the new bootloader option will appear for the nano.

djmauro:
Anyone know what is going on?

In the beginning of 2018, Arduino started shipping their (original) Nanos with a new boot loader based on the Uno boot loader; that's why the Uno selection works.

You need to update the board manager to version 1.6.21 (see DrAzzy's reply) to get support for the new boot loader. That board manager allows you to choose between 328P which expects the new boot loader on the board (for new original Nanos) or 328P (old boot loader) which works for older original Nanos and clones (clones might possibly never ship with the new boot boot loader).

Information about this in the note on Getting Started with the Arduino Nano

@ DrAzzy and @sterretje

Thanks for your prompt replies. Updating the board manager indeed did the trick.