Arduino nano RP2040 connect not showing under port

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't noticed that before. I wonder if it's a minimum recognizable value imposed by the operating system?

Still my main problem has not been solved. do you have any answer for that?
Will there be problem with board itself?
I already contacted my local vendor and he is taking back board and will check for problem.

Are you using windows vista?

No, I use windows 7

The IDE has no problem with Windows 7, which makes sense, but I wonder if there's a specific driver issue.
IDK personally, but maybe a driver guru will see this.

Also, this is a slightly different board but perhaps some of the same fixes apply. Check out this thread:

@lord-ganesha , Use IDE version 1.8.15 and carry out the steps below:

1. downloaded "Blink.ino.elf.uf2" from https://docs.arduino.cc/tutorials/nano-rp2040- connect/rp2040-01-technical-reference

2. place a jumper wire between REC and GND. This will open a mass storage folder with INDEX and INFO_UF2 files.

3. remove the jumper wire between REC and GND while the mass storage folder still open.

4. now drag the "blink.ino.elf.uf2" file into the mass storage folder. If successful, the board will be flashed with a program that blinks the built-in LED, and shifts between the red, green and blue pixels.

5. lastly test by uploading a Blink LED sketch from the IDE after selecting the board and the port via the IDE's tools, to confirm that the board now works fine.

Didn't work for me. What worked was to do Step 1 till 3. Open Arduino IDE (Arduino 1.8.15 works fine // 2.0 beta aswell) and "blind upload" a sample Blinksketch for the Arduino Nano RPM 2040. That means just hit the upload button while no Port is selected.

1 Like

may be but not sure

I just returned board to seller for further analysis, now all hopes are on him.

already tried but didnt worked for me. I just returned board to seller for further analysis, now all hopes are on him.
Thanks arduino team for support.

@dozie I know the IDE is good on Windows 7, but is there an official Nano driver for Windows 7?
It seems to be the common factor when many users can't upload to their Nanos?

I think it’s depends upon which Nano board you are using, Nano everyday MCU can not directly communicate with usb so it had USB to UART converter chip. For Nano RP2040 no need to converter chip.

Just got mail from seller, he is saying board is defective. And he is sending replacement board so once I received new board will post updates.

Got another board but still problem exists. But good thing is with new board at least I can upload default blinking led sketch in bootloader.

Hi, I have similar problem. Tested on 3 different Rp2040 nano connect boards, 4 computers running Win10 Pro 64 bits and numbers of cables, which work just fine with ESP32 and other fast data transfer devices. With GND+REC shorten up the storage appears but it disappears after uploading blink program. It is possible to put new folders and text files, but all are gone when the chip is rebooted. It is surprising RP2040 connect works for some people.

2 Likes

I'm having a similar problem - device wont show up on a port no matter what I do.

If I put jumpers on, it will show up in the filesystem and I can copy blink to it. I unplug it, remove jumpers, and reconnect the USB and the device just sits there not blinking and undetectable on any ports. The interesting thing is that it was working just fine earlier, and it started doing this immediately after downgrading the board support 'mbed os nano boards' to v2.1.0 in an effort to use the wifi module (the current wifi libs require newer firmware that seems to be available).

Double tapping the reset doesn't put it into bootloader mode, only the jumpers. Pretty much stick at this point so if anyone has suggestions I'd really appreciate it, thanks. My intuition is that this is a software issue and I need to somehow get the right firmware on there, but dragging the blink.ino.elf.uf2 I downloaded from the official 'board not detected' instructions isn't having any effect.
Thanks

Right after I posted this I saw in another thread that you have to remove the jumper after it boots up and before you copy the blink over to the device. Prior to doing this, windows wouldn't show any progress indicator and the device would simply reset. With the jumper removed after connecting the USB, when I copy blink over I see windows explorer copy progress window and when the device reboots it is running blink and detected on a port.

I backtracked and reinstalled v2.1.0 of the mbed OS for rp2040 and it once again became unresponsive. Following the steps above fixed it right away. Switching back to the latest mbed OS, I was able to upload a modified blink successfully. So this part is figured out now at least, now back to the original problem I was trying to solve which is how to get the Nina firmware updated so I can use the wifi since apparently the current libs require a newer version.

1 Like

Thank you for updating this, that's very helpful.

I'm glad to hear it! Thanks for taking the time to share the solution you found.

As you probably noticed, the Arduino IDE's "WiFi101/WiFiNINA Firmware/Certificate Updater" tool does not have the latest 1.4.8 version of the firmware. The reason being that the firmware was released after the time the Arduino IDE was released.

Fortunately, the hourly build of the Arduino IDE does have the 1.4.8 firmware. The process for updating the firmware with the hourly build of the IDE is the same as with the release version of the IDE.

1. Open the "Software" page of arduino.cc: https://www.arduino.cc/en/software#hourly-builds
  2. Under the "DOWNLOAD OPTIONS" section, click the appropriate link for your operating system.
  3. Wait for the download to finish.
  4. Extract the downloaded file.
  5. Run the Arduino IDE executable from the extracted folder.
  6. Follow the standard firmware update process as described here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/WiFiNINAFirmwareUpdater
    (tutorial uses MKR WiFi 1010, but it is the same process for Nano RP2040 Connect)

After that, you are welcome to go back to the version of the Arduino IDE you were using before. The hourly build installation will not interfere with your previous IDE installation. The hourly build is just a convenient way to get the latest firmware version.

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.

1 Like