Arduino NANO supply current

Hello guys,

Is it possible to supply an Arduino nano with a DC generator (7V/4A) via the Vin Pin without burning the board or the components?

I've searched on internet for the maximum input current for the NANO but I couldn't find an answer.

Thank you

Steewz

Yes that's OK. The board will "draw" less than 1 Amp.

[u]Ohm's Law[/u] says Current = Voltage/Resistance. We typically don't know the resistance of the Arduino (and it will change when we turn-on an LED, etc.) but it's resistance determines the current.

Or for example - If you live here in the U.S. we have 120VAC at the wall outlet and the circuit breakers are rated for 15 or 20 Amps. If nothing is connected (or nothing is turned-on) the voltage is present but no current flows. If you plug-in a 100W lamp, about 1 Amp flows. If you plug-in a hair drier or toaster 10-12 Amps will flow. If you plug-in two toasters you get excess current and the circuit breaker blows!

(If you live in a country with 240V you have half the current for the same wattage.)

Steewz:
Is it possible to supply an Arduino nano with a DC generator (7V/4A) via the Vin Pin without burning the board or the components?

I’ve searched on internet for the maximum input current for the NANO but I couldn’t find an answer.

Current “available” is irrelevant. A 7volt/1000Amp would also be ok.
The Nano takes what is needs, which is about 30mA for the Nano itself (not counting loads).

You still can ‘burn’ the regulator of a Nano by drawing too much from the 5volt pin (or any pin).
Leo…

Hang on, everyone. We know almost nothing about this DC generator. It may not have any kind of output regulator. The 7V figure could be a "nominal" output voltage at a given rpm and current load. If the expected current load is not there, as the revs increase, the output voltage may increase to significantly higher than 7V, damaging the Nano.

@Steewz, please post a link to spec of the generator. Use the "insert link" icon.

Hi,
We need more information about the application that you are using the Nano for.
Vin will need to be about 8V or higher for the Nano's internal linear 5V regulator to work.

A storage device may need to be fitted if the generator output is to unstable.

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Don't you have an option to obtain a regulated 5V supply for the Nano? That's almost certainly going to be a superior option.