Arduino NANO to program and control 3' (1m) LEDs?

Hi all,
I’m looking for help on a bicycle light project. I know someone who already did it, but he did not want to share how he made it. Basically, it’s a programmable LED strip attached to a bicycle/trike safety flag. (Pic 1.) On my ICE trike I removed the flag and put a Hotshot PRO on the top. I’d like to make an LED strip with different light programs that attaches to the pole part. If multiple programs are not possible, I’d at least like it to chase up towards the Hotshot PRO.

I’m quite handy, and can 3d design/print cases, brackets etc. I also have a little programming knowledge, however, I’m sorely lacking in understanding power in electronics. At any rate, I diagrammed the project as I imagine it, though I expect I’m quite wrong. I’d appreciate those with the knowledge giving some guidance. I’ve also included a “clean” pdf if someone would like draw in correct connections?

Thanks in anticipation.

A 9V smoke alarm battery does not have the current capability to power LEDs. Maybe the Arduino, alone, for a few hours.

What, exact, LED strip do you have? How many LEDs?

I have not purchased parts yet. I need to figure out how it all will work and what I will actually need. I was hoping a 9v strip with 72 LEDs as in the drawing.

Are the LEDs individually addressable?

I didn't know that was an option, and wasn't something I thought about. I only thought they needed to be full spectrum so I could program the color. I guess that would be important if I wanted to pulse groups at a time. Thanks for giving me something to think about.

Look at WS2812 RGB LED strips.

KaisoBuilder:
I didn't know that was an option, and wasn't something I thought about. I only thought they needed to be full spectrum so I could program the color. I guess that would be important if I wanted to pulse groups at a time. Thanks for giving me something to think about.

You did say, "I'd at least like it to chase up" and "different light programs".

You could do what I did, run NeoPixels at 5-10% output so they don't require special power. They are still plenty bright, especially at night. WS2812B are a kind of NeoPixel. I have a 60 pixel strip behind my computer monitor that works this way, running only from a Nano.

Not only is a 9 V smoke alarm battery of limited capacity, it is the wrong voltage. WS2812 (addressable) LEDs require 5 V to operate, and so does the Arduino.

A USB "power bank" sold as a phone charging device might suit if you only want simple chasing and do not intend too many LEDs to be illuminated simultaneously or at full white. Full white is 60 mA per LED and 72 times that is 4.3 Amps. OTOH if you have only every fourth LED lit and not white, that would be less than 1 Amp and probably manageable for at least an hour or so.

Also note that 72 WS2812s draw about 70 mA even when black - no light at all. That means that you must switch their power off as well as the Arduino when it is not operating.