Arduino Nanot IoT 33 & A4988 - Doesn't work when DIR is set to HIGH

Hello,

I'm using an Arduino Nano IoT 33 with an A4988 motor driver from Longruner to power a Nema 17HS4401.

The setup is working perfectly fine.

But only when the DIR pin is set to LOW. When I set it to HIGH to switch the direction. The motor doesn't move at all.
This way I can only rotate the motor in one direction.

I have tried using a completly new A4988 and also checked if the D2 pin of the Arduino (DIR) is working proberly (it does).

Do you have any suggestions?

Best Regards,
Sevvvv

Turns out, that 4 out of my 5 A4988 drivers were damaged.

The last one works in both DIR no problem, althought it sometimes stalls.
I suspect that these clones are just garbage.

Unfortunately I have bought them before I have discovered that those boards are getting cloned and any A4988 is not always a good A4988.
I will order them from Polulu now.

I bought mine from Longruner on Amazon if anyone wonders.

Hope this will help someone.

Did you set the CURRENT on the drivers properly as that can also give the impression that they are dead ?
Also insufficient current can give those results too.

I wonder if the fact that the nano IOT is a 3.3v device has anything to do with it? Maybe its “HIGH” is not high enough?

…R

Robin2:
I wonder if the fact that the nano IOT is a 3.3v device has anything to do with it? Maybe its "HIGH" is not high enough?

...R

That could of course be a possibility and a simple level shifter would be able to confirm that.
3 volts is the low side for most drivers.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.