arduino navigation using x y coordinates

Hello everyone,

I am planning to move my bot in a certain path. I have mounted three led's on the bot and able to track it's position as x y coordinates using IR camera located at the top of the arena.

Using these positions I would like to move bot in a certain path. My bot has two DC motors.

How can I use this position coordinates to move bot in a certain path? May be it's a simple question, sorry I am new to this.

Have a nice weekend.

Is the IR camera linked to a PC ?

Is the PC controlling the Robot ? If so, how does the PC communicate with the Robot ?

To move the Robot in a specific direction you will first have to know what direction it is pointing. The x y coordinates will not tell you that.

I guess you could move a short distance in a straight line and figure out the orientation from the changes to the coordinates. Then you could "remember" the orientation.

In simple terms the control system will probably be

• move a bit
  • check the new coordinates
  • calculate the next movement
  • repeat

...R

Hello Robin2

Thank you very much for your reply.

Robin2: Is the IR camera linked to a PC ?

Yes IR camera linked to a PC, IR camera setup with ROS camera package finds LED positions on the arena.

Robin2: Is the PC controlling the Robot ?

Yes

Robin2: If so, how does the PC communicate with the Robot ?

Using bluetooth

Do I need to use triangulation or something to find the orientation of the robot?

Thanks.

If you have a differential drive robot, then the math is pretty simple for steering. See this intro: http://rossum.sourceforge.net/papers/DiffSteer/

You do need to know the robot orientation and could get that using image processing on the PC. Have the 3 LEDs in a unique arrangement so that the robot orientation can be determined directly from the bright points on the image.

rosdino: Do I need to use triangulation or something to find the orientation of the robot?

As @jremington said, if you can put a distinctive pattern of lights on the robot the PC may be able to determine the orientation from the image.

If that is not an option I think the only thing to do is what I suggested in Reply #1

The examples in serial input basics (preferrably the 3rd) should be useful for receiving data from the PC

...R

Kirishimaza: A good web site is informative and useful.

We are.

...R