Arduino not connecting [SOLVED]

I can’t open the serial monitor. It just says “Board at COM5 is not available.” I can upload new programs, but I can’t open the serial monitor. I’ve tried hitting the reset button, disconnecting all wires except the USB cord, using a different port, even the loop-back test comes up with this error. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? The Arduino still works fine and the cord has no visible damage.

hi go in the display manager section and see if you have a serial connection there, click on it and see if your Arduino is listed in there if not. what i did was i uninstalled the serial port that was there, did a back and on the serial port section, right click and click on scan for hardware changes. this should re-install the port during this you can manually tell it to get the drivers from the Arduino file you downloaded which is Arduino 1.6.6 in the download section. this worked for me hope it works for you

regards lesaf.

lesaf61: hi go in the display manager section and see if you have a serial connection there, click on it and see if your Arduino is listed in there if not. what i did was i uninstalled the serial port that was there, did a back and on the serial port section, right click and click on scan for hardware changes. this should re-install the port during this you can manually tell it to get the drivers from the Arduino file you downloaded which is Arduino 1.6.6 in the download section. this worked for me hope it works for you

regards lesaf.

What do you mean, display manager? Also, there is one thing that I just thought of, restarting the computer. I'm going to try that first, bye....

EDIT: that worked. EDIT 2: The arduino (an uno) printed the first two lines that it should and then stopped responding. EDIT 3: I tried re-uploading the program. This happened:

Sketch uses 6,522 bytes (20%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 1,177 bytes (57%) of dynamic memory, leaving 871 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

EDIT 4: I'm using IDE 1.6.4 on Windows 7. EDIT 5: Schematic and Sketch available at https://sites.google.com/site/mylinksforarduino/not-conn (I didn't wat to copy-paste 183 lines of code). EDIT 6: *want EDIT 7: I accidentally shorted the temperature sensor, connecting the +5V directly to ground. This tripped the current limit and held the board in reset.