Arduino not supplying enough power??

Hi

I am using an Arduino Mega 2560.

Connect to the Arduino I have an SD module, a GPS module and an LCD. They all work together fine.

Heres the problem, I am now trying to add a distance sensor to the Arduino. As soon as I connect power and ground to the Arduino, everything cuts out.

Is this because the Arduino isnt supplying enough juice? Are there any alternatives or betters methods of practice?

Thanks in advance

Hi,
i have the same problem.

I have different sensors for temp, hum and soil connected AND a sd-card writer/reader.

all works fine with 7 sensors, but if i connect the sd-module nor some sensors neither the sd-module works properly then.

Regards

It sounds like it. You can only get 500mA from the USB.
Try the distance sensor on its own to check there is no problem with that then power from an external source.

Thanks again for the response.

The distance sensor does work alone which proves your point.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the best way of reducing voltage? I'm thinking of hooking the distance sensor up to a 9v battery, although I'm aware it requires 5v.

Brandon

A voltage regulator is what you need. Most 9V batteries are unable to supply suitable current BTW - use a pack of AA cells.

I am having the same problem with power. I have this (pictured), would it work in regulating power and do you know how much power it works with?

Thank you.

Thanks MarkT and anyone else involved!

I have this (pictured)

You need to say what the part number is. There are hundreds of devices that
Look like that.

You need to say what the part number is. There are hundreds of devices that
Look like that.

That would explain why the results of a web search gave me so many different voltages.

The numbers printed on my unit are:

IRF520
Y31K AL
E6 (is cast in the centre of the plastic)

From the attached picture you appear to be using a little 9v low power battery. Replace this with perhaps 6 AA cells and try again. I f you still have a problem simply take the battery power thru a 2nd 5 v regulator to power some of your external circuits.

You will need a 7805 or equivalent. The device you show appears to be a power Mosfet NOT a regulator.

The numbers printed on my unit are:
IRF520

That is an N channel FET - it is not a voltage regulator, therefore it is no good to you in this application unless you want to string a whole lot of other components round it.

That is an N channel FET - it is not a voltage regulator, therefore it is no good to you in this application unless you want to string a whole lot of other components round it.

Alright, thanks Grumpy_Mike. I couldn't find any documentation on it.