Arduino on Microsoft Surface RT

Is anyone successfully using an Arduino on a Microsoft Surface RT tablet? If so, how did you do it?

Well its fairly simple actually .. You can control it by adding a blutooth or wifi shield to your arduino. Hooking USB from the Arduino into the Surface RT will yield no success mainly because the drivers are not "signed" so installing a driver I don't think is possible. I could be wrong there but don't believe so.

Programming what ever you want on your arduino and then connecting to it via blutooth/wifi over tcp sockets is completely do-able.

I see that this is an old thread, but I wanted to add some info to this question. It is possible to communicate via the USB on an rt surface. I created a simple serial code to control an led with a 1 or 0 and loaded it on an uno, using a regular laptop. Then I plugged the uno to the surface and loaded the winusb driver. I used the CDC ACM example from Microsoft and modified it to include the arduino. You will have to get the vid pid and include it in the code. There will be a few other places to modify the code, like a device watcher, but other than that it worked just fine. Currently I am trying to use the windows rt d2xx driver from ftdi to talk to another device. If anyone else has had any luck with USB comms on the surface please chime in, I get frustrated just hearing that it can't be done. Good luck!

Hi, I know it’s been quite a while since this topic was started. I just want to put the result of my research so that anybody in that situation know what he can do. First possibility: bluetooth communication. It’s easier, almost everybody used that. Second possibility, changing the driver of the arduino for winusb.
Look here to see how you can do that. Afterward, like jesslrma said, you can use the USB CDC Control sample to establish communication. You have to change two field for that: in the package.appmanifest (there are two usb device already defined, you add the arduino under in the same format (For the VID and PIC, go to device manager. The class should be 02 * *)) and in the Constants.cs (you have to add your device in the supportedDevices list). Tadam! It should work! A third possibility I may have found, but I didn’t tested it, is to flash the ATmega8U2 or ATmega16U2 for your arduino to be detected as an HID device then you can communicate “easily” with it from Visual Studio. Things that nay help: HID-Serial and V-USB. There’s video on Channel9 that help set up the communication. Well, that’s all folks! I hope this will help someone someday somewhere!