Arduino on other microcontrollers

As far as I know, arduino is supported on a variety of Atmega's like 328, 8 etc. However, there are many other Atmega's like 8515. I was wondering if I could use the arduino IDE to code such chips...if possible, how will the pin mappings be???

From Arduino FAQ -

•Can I use different IDE to program Arduino boards?

It is possible to compile programs for the Arduino using other build tools (e.g. Makefiles and/or AVR Studio). You'll need to configure these to link against the appropriate files in the Arduino core libraries. See the description of the Arduino build process.

•Can I use an Arduino board without the Arduino software? Sure. It's just an AVR development board, you can use straight AVR C or C++ (with avr-gcc and avrdude or AVR Studio) to program it.

•Can I use the Arduino software with other AVR boards? Yes, although it may require some modifications to the Arduino core libraries.

sreedevk: ...if possible, how will the pin mappings be???

The pin mappings will be found in the chip's datasheet...which will be found on Atmel's website, along with more helpful information. http://www.atmel.com/products/microcontrollers/avr/default.aspx

sreedevk: As far as I know, arduino is supported on a variety of Atmega's like 328, 8 etc. However, there are many other Atmega's like 8515. I was wondering if I could use the arduino IDE to code such chips...

Sure, but picking a weird one like the 8515 is masochism. Stick with the common ones...

Your real problems will be library code that drives the 'peripherals' such as Timers, Serial Hardware etc.