ARDUINO on PCB

Hey every one!

I have wired up a circuit using ARDUINO UNO and a step driver module. I used bread board and male wire pins to connect them. now I want to remove the wires and the bread board and integrate all the circuit on a PCB using Altium Designer software.

the main problem is that I'm not sure if this is possible?! I mean how could I mount ARDUINO on a PCB while it is a PBC itself? has anyone had the same problem?

regards

Ala

Just add headers on your pcb that correspond to the Arduino pins.

Make it so that it fits your design.

You could use a nano or micro and place male pins on your new board. Keep the UNO for prototyping

wolframore:
You could use a nano or micro and place male pins on your new board. Keep the UNO for prototyping

Best advice.

The UNO is simply not suitable for projects unless there just happens to be a matching “shield” that implements all the required functionality.

A Nano (or Pro Mini if USB/ programming functionality is not required in the end application) with its pin headers fitted can be socketed or directly soldered to your own PCB. And it is more compact.

The step in between the breadboard and the PCB is the solderable prototype board.

Here you may need a Nano because the Pro-Mini has odd hole spacing which makes it difficult to use.

You could also continue to use your Uno and buy a blank shield for your own development such as:
. You solder header pins onto this and plug it into the Uno.

If you progress onto developing PCBs, you can simply use the basic components (ATMEGA328P, etc. etc.) instead of an already made Arduino board. There are also free PCB development tools e.g. KICAD.

ALAA72:
dear wolframore,
thanks for your reply!

if I use headers on my PCB, which I assume you mean male headers, then I should insert ARDUINO upside down? I mean using male headers on the main PCB, I have to face the ARDUINO female pins to the male one on the main PCB and therefore it is going to be upside down?

You have the male headers under the PCB, on the copper side so your PCB plugs on top.
OR using a Mini.
Put headers on the Mini poking down out the underside, and put female headers on your PCB so the Mini plugs on top.
Tom.. :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Put headers on the Mini poking down out the underside, and put female headers on your PCB so the Mini plugs on top.

Nano if you want USB functionality.