Arduino Overclock?

I have seen that the arduino can be underclocked, but can it be overclocked, say to 18Mhz? This would make it even more useful with a GLCD as I could run some 3D stuff or better 2D with higher FPS

Just an idea. The only other thing I can think of to make it faster is some sort of network of arduinos possibly sharing the same clock, one to send out tasks to the other (n) arduinos and the results can be processed and displayed FASTER STILL :D

Maybe I should be thinking of something more powerful than Arduino for such tasks but I love the platform and I have made a sheild for my LCD and can't face desoldering it :(

the current atmega's can run upto 20mhz, they dont for arduino for backwards compatibility

backwards compatablility with older ATMega chips?

software timing (ie serial)

Ah, so would I have to modify some of the libraries so they know the new timings?

Citius, Altius, Fortius is the Olympic motto in Latin and translates to Swifter, Higher, Stronger. This is deeply embedded in all of us and possibly the main reason why we are the most successful species on the planet and not something we should abandon easily. For a general purpose computer such as a PC, faster does indeed appear to be a winning strategy.

The success of the Arduino however has come from users recognizing different strengths (other than speed) and successfully applying those in their projects. The Arduino is good at interfacing with the physical world, reading sensors, adding computational logic and controlling output. An Arduino can be embedded in devices we build by itself or it can interface and add functionality to devices that excel in other areas.

Many refer to the Atmega in comparison to the Duemillanove as the “better board”. In my mind however it is just a “different board” appropriate for projects with different requirements. If your project does not require the additional IO or memory it is just a waste of money, space and energy. Likewise, if you need a fast graphics controller, I'm sure you will easily find a different controller (or even a microcontroller other than the AtMega) that is a zillion times faster and more apt for such a task.

Trying to bend and twist the Arduino to fit any requirements may sometimes have an academic value, but less so for practical applications.

Ok, thank you. As it turns out for the animations I am performing the FPS is adequet. I thought it looked a little laggy myself but I asked a few people and they didn't notice.

Thanks for your help

could be worth profiling your program to see where the delays are and whether just changing the code could help.