Arduino PC bluetooth file transfer

Hi all,

Is it possible to transfer files via bluetooth from a PC to an arduino and store files on a micro sd card connected to the arduino?

Theoretically yes, but you have to program both sides, the PC and the Arduino because the Arduino isn't able to handle the existing file sharing bluetooth profiles but only the serial profile (very few modules allow other profiles like the HID but that's out of scope here). So if you have program on the PC that opens the file and sends it to the bluetooth serial port and you write a sketch for the Arduino that saves everything from the serial interface to a file on the SD card, it is possible but extremely inefficient.

So there is no easy work around for this? ... for my internship I have to be able to use a microcontroller, bluetooth, and sd card and be able to transfer/store files like a network drive or something. Is there a particular bluetooth module that I would need to get? one with FTP support?

Or can I possibly use WiFly instead like this module here WiFly GSX 802.11b/g Serial Module - Roving Networks - WRL-10004 - SparkFun Electronics

bump....

So there is no easy work around for this?

Probably not.

for my internship I have to be able to use a microcontroller, bluetooth, and sd card and be able to transfer/store files like a network drive or something

So then get a Raspberry Pi (or PCduino, Cubieboard, etc.) and a bluetooth dongle and you're almost done. Just install the bluez tools on the Pi and you have all the tools you need.

Or can I possibly use WiFly instead like this module here WiFly GSX 802.11b/g Serial Module - Roving Networks - WRL-10004 - SparkFun Electronics

You can but you don't fulfill the requirements anymore because that module is not Bluetooth but WiFi.

So there is no easy work around for this?

What pylon suggested is not terribly difficult. I don't know how much easier you expect the process to be.

for my internship I have to be able to use a microcontroller, bluetooth, and sd card and be able to transfer/store files like a network drive or something.

That "or something" leaves you lots of room to use the Arduino in your project.

Is there a particular bluetooth module that I would need to get? one with FTP support?

It's not the module as much as the capability of the device that you want to connect the module to.

If you were to acquire a bluetooth module that supported FTP, and you connected it to a device where a driver already existed, what would YOU be doing? Illustrating that someone else's hard work was successful gets you no brownie points in my book.