Arduino Person Tracking with GPS

Hi there,

Basically what I want to do is to have a device (i.e. a box with 4 LED indicator arrows) which indicates where a certain person.

I'm not sure how to accomplish this, my idea so far is to have the person carry around a GPS receiver (hooked up to an Arduino?), and the indicator box to receive those coordinates somehow (how?). I'm guessing the indicator box must also have a GPS receiver, so then the coordinates can be compared and the LEDs on the indicator box can display where to go in order to locate the person of interest.

Am I on the right track? Is there a way for both GPS modules to communicate with each other?

I've been looking at the following GPS module: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/465 https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10710

Thank you in advance!

Person being tracked will need to transmit his coordinates also. The person doing the tracking will need to receive those coordinates and compare with own coordinates to do the math to determine direction.

The indicator box probably needs a compass-module as well. Using 2 arduinos, 2 gps modules and 2 transceivers it's possible to calculate distance and direction. It doesn't tell which direction the indicator box itself is facing though, something you need to know to power the right led.

The biggest problem I see is how to get the GPS location from target to the indicator. Perhaps a GSM shield to periodically upload the location to a server and another one to download it. Perhaps include a two way communication so the frequency of location data upload/download increases as the distance between units decreases (to improve accuracy when close, and reduce power consumption and bandwidth cost when far away).

Yeah the communication part is the hardest part in my mind... I can only imagine using two Arduino WiFi Shields, uploading and downloading the coords and then doing the comparison. However this only works when connected to a WiFi network, obviously. This isn't very ideal... hmm...

Thank you all for your help - very much appreciated!

I don't know much but i think this will help you. if you have a mobile then you can use it to locate a person. i meant to say is the person must have Arduino and some GSM type thing interfaced with the arduino and by using your mobile GSM network you can Track down the person by using you Google Maps. just an idea you better watch it on the internet to get more help

lawrah: Yeah the communication part is the hardest part in my mind... I can only imagine using two Arduino WiFi Shields, uploading and downloading the coords and then doing the comparison. However this only works when connected to a WiFi network, obviously. This isn't very ideal... hmm...

Thank you all for your help - very much appreciated!

What will be the maximum distance ?

Not using GSM/WIFI at both ends it will probably be impossible to cover a very large distance. As long as it isn't larger as ~4 km/2.5 miles (while having not too much interference), you can use several other types of wireless modules as wifi or gsm.

As long as the right data is transmitted to the right box it also doesn't matter whether the message has been relayed a few times for your project. You could... program extra arduinos as relaying stations to increase the range if your project allows it.