Arduino phone charger

Hello!

I have a school assignment where my project is to program a new phone charger. Using derivative of current I will be able to see when the charging starts to pulse because of the increase of the derivative. When the charging starts to pulse I want to stop the charging to save energy and increase the lifetime of the battery. I am a beginner att programming so I am thankful for any help. I recently bought an arduino uno, but I have not bought any current sensor yet. Do you recommend any specific current sensor for this project.

Thanks you in advance for any help!

the simplest would be to use a resistor an read the voltage across it using the analog input to then calculated the current.

If you want something fancier to monitor the current you could look for current sensing chips such as ACS712 Current Sensor which would also output a voltage level depending on your current draw

http://henrysbench.capnfatz.com/henrys-bench/arduino-current-measurements/acs712-current-sensor-user-manual/

Thank you! I will look that up.

Do you know if it´s possible to make a graph from without the current and time with the ACS712 sensor when I connect it to my phone charger?

WilliamJonason:
to save energy and increase the lifetime of the battery.

I have an old Nokia phone whose battery has finally expired. It must be at least 10 years old. How much additional lifetime are you hoping to get?

...R

Robin2:
I have an old Nokia phone whose battery has finally expired. It must be at least 10 years old. How much additional lifetime are you hoping to get?

...R

I have a piece of fruit that the company makes me use for a phone and the battery on this thing is a year old and already can't make it through the day anymore. If anything can be done for it I'm all ears.

Phone batteries are really now the victims of modern phones which are continually being made with more features, bigger screens, faster processors etc.
What kills phone batteries is heat, and number of charge / discharge cycles, but 2 years is doing well.
Really old phones that arnt smart with very small screens can have very good battery life, as the power draw is really low.
My old ZTE T96 runs for a month before the battery needs charging.

I don't know about LiPo or LiIon cells but the killer for lead-acid batteries seems to be the amount of current that flows through them - in (charging) plus out (discharging). If that is also true of phone batteries then the only practical way to extend battery life is to use the phone less.

I wonder if having the phone on charge almost permanently extends battery life because the phone is not running off the battery? Of course that is only practical if the phone can be in one place for long periods.

Then there is the question of whether the cost of the extra energy used is offset by reduced battery replacement costs. I suspect it would be.

...R