Arduino pins aren't enough !

Hi
I'm working on a project currently and it's very complex that ardunio pins aren't enough.
It's a Hydraulic JCB excavator line follower, at the end of the line it's supposed to move the arm and handle a material such as sand using hydraulic power, the components are:

-2 H bridges L298 (1 for the front 2 wheels and 1 for the back, keep in mind that each motor takes 3 wires from the H bridge to the arduino, meaning they are 6 in total)
-1 servo motor towerpro mg995 (for moving the plate)
-1 qtr-8rc sensor (takes 8 wires if 8 sensors are used)

• 3 H bridges L298 (for 3 motors to control the hydraulic syringes)

and that's pretty much it, as you can see they alot of wires to be used and the ardunio doesn't hold that much, what is the solution ?

A Mega2560.

Bigger Arduino?

Use different hardware; you can e.g. add a 74HC595 to expand the number of output pins and use that to control the direction of the motors via the L298.

Get a mega, or a bigger board. Cheap chinese clones are 15 bucks, but you may have to flash the bootloader. That’s what I did with my hexapod.

crispiest_cat:
Get a mega, or a bigger board. Cheap chinese clones are 15 bucks, but you may have to flash the bootloader. That’s what I did with my hexapod.

Of the possibly 50 boards I’ve ordered from China, I’ve never seen any without a bootloader.

. . . or this port expander

aarg:
Of the possibly 50 boards I've ordered from China, I've never seen any without a bootloader.

I've ordered two, and both are missing bootloaders. It depends on how cheap you buy them

I really like the idea of a shift register, if you can achieve your project with a smaller arduino and hc74595’s it’s cooler and cheaper than always relying on buying megas

Hi,
I think you need either of these;

The left one uses solid wire or DuPont ended wire leads , the other is a solder type board.

Tom... :slight_smile: