Arduino popping up in movies/documentaries

Hi, I am the sort of DVD viewer who wants to get the most out of his DVD purchases, so if there are extras on the DVD/BluRay I will usually watch them. Like for example the later Italian Job, the minis used in the sewer chase were electric powered. Anyhow, I have just watched a movie called OBLIVION with Tommy Cruise, the storyline was good, and the extras had docos of various aspects of the creation of the movie. One prop was what they called a Bubble Ship, a hybrid air and space craft, looks like a cross between a Huey out of MASH and a dragonfly, really nice creation. They made a fullsize unit and started showing some of the features. One included opening rear doors to get Tommy's electric trail bike out through, as they demonstrated it the operator had the control unit in his hand, a quick pause button press and voila, he is holding a Adruino Uno with two what look like perf board shields. Has anybody else seen arduino popping up in ares like this? Someone has made a model kit of it, the Bubble Ship. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i145FouxSqA

Tom...... :)

Let's face it, is there really an easier way?...

Since there's so much support and documented material for Arduino would it not be a bit silly to "pay more for less" i mean when you're able to pick up a populated board (like an Uno) and upload to the board in next to no time and have it do stuff..

PIcAXE? (I vaguely followed it's development) but I don't ever recall it being anywhere near as useful...

I really do believe what's made it popular is combination of great help support, and just the ease of use... so when a $30 board can do everything you need (unless it's timing critical) why pay more?

Price + help support + ease of setup = Result.

right?

I'd hate to pay more, get less support and spend 2 days getting it working... esp when nobody's going to see the board anyway....

right?

I'd hate to pay more, get less support and spend 2 days getting it working... esp when nobody's going to see the board anyway....

Very True 8)

On the contrary featuring Arduino was another Hollywood flick named as "white house down" ,which me and my friend siezed watching in somewhere before it would have reached half. This movie showed an Arduino with a protoshield board with 2 tactile push buttons!

looks like a cross between a Huey out of MASH

That's not a MASH I remember. ;)

The guy that makes the detonating alarm clock kit posted on his blog that his kit got used as a prop in a TV show. The clip was ridiculous, but the prop effect was pretty cool. :) One of those life-imitating-art-imitating-life things, in that it's a kit made to look like a Hollywood prop, and then got used as a prop. Heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUlAQZB9Ng

I had one of those revelation moments some time ago, when I realized it had become cheaper for hollywood/etc to put REAL COMPUTERS on their sets, instead of having someone build props that were supposed to look like computers. I guess you still have to figure out what's going to show on the screens; it wouldn't do to have your robot-from-the-future display 6502 assembly code for an Apple ][, would it?

For instance, it's hard to imagine a futuristic pad-like computer looking drastically different from the current crop of tablets.

(BTW: IMO, some of the best depictions of "future tech" I've seen recently were in TV's (SyFy) "Continuum" series.)

Hopefully, the first appearance of an Arduino in Prime time WON'T be in an IED :-(

Hi, the a+++le computer or a screen resembling its format appears quite regularly in many TV series. I watched "The IT Crowd" the other night, its usually not on when I want or can watch the box. Sitting on a shelf in the IT office a Altair 8800 by the looks of it, now that would be an expensive prop if its real.

Tom..... :)

LOL -- I love that JP clip. I remember seeing that when it was in theaters and thinking "Unix uses 3D grids of cubes as a folder browser, huh? Hmm..."

I always like to read the source code in TV/movies to see what they used. I've seen web pages, JavaScript, random C code, complete nonsense ... most of it has little to do with whatever it's supposed to be. It just looks impressive. My personal favorite is the MPAA logo made from the DeCSS source code. Wish I had a poster of that... ;)

I wouldn't be surprised to find out the Altair in The IT Crowd was real. It would be a great little in-joke for those that knew -- and given the target demographic, that could be a particularly high percentage.

I thought that the IT Crowd was a documentary...

Does the PET wander around the shelves between the different series?

westfw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUlAQZB9Ng

I had one of those revelation moments some time ago, when I realized it had become cheaper for hollywood/etc to put REAL COMPUTERS on their sets, instead of having someone build props that were supposed to look like computers. I guess you still have to figure out what’s going to show on the screens; it wouldn’t do to have your robot-from-the-future display 6502 assembly code for an Apple ][, would it?

For instance, it’s hard to imagine a futuristic pad-like computer looking drastically different from the current crop of tablets.

(BTW: IMO, some of the best depictions of “future tech” I’ve seen recently were in TV’s (SyFy) “Continuum” series.)

Hopefully, the first appearance of an Arduino in Prime time WON’T be in an IED :frowning:

In Elysium they have a person working on the source code for the space station. Intel will be happy to know that 150 years in the future they still use 32 bit x86 code. In fact, assembler is back in fashion.

ElysiumSourceCode.jpg

SirNickity: LOL -- I love that JP clip. I remember seeing that when it was in theaters and thinking "Unix uses 3D grids of cubes as a folder browser, huh? Hmm..."

It actually was a "real" application distributed with the Silicon Graphics machines of that time, back when SGI was pushing out OpenGL. I played with the application briefly on a DEC Alphastation. But just a toy, really, as all file browsers are ;)

westfw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUlAQZB9Ng

I remember watching that and thinking "not any Unix system I've worked on".

You find files by flying over them in some sort of 3D-game format eventually bombing the one you really need into submission by a sneak attack from the right.

Or, you could type:

ls

Or:

locate -i security

That reminds me of the lack of attention to detail in so many movies about technical points, that they must think "no-one will notice". No-one except us nerds. ;)

I wonder why they have not used REP MOVSD to move data but instead used REP MOVSB. FYI, they are ENTERING the protected mode but have not yet entered it at least not with this much code.

REP MOVSD to move data but instead used REP MOVSB

Must remember that when I debug my WORLD DOMINATION program, ipad app, before unleashing it on the world.

I must copyright that, note" Write app to take over the world via ipad."
Now how easy would that be?
The app would named and do something that every body wants, then say 6weeks after release to let it become established, it morphs into mind control mode.

Na won’t work, DR WHO writers have or would even now be writing script along these lines now.

Tom… 8)

Yes, using DWORD makes it 4 times as fast when it comes to data transfer or world domination.

TomGeorge: Sitting on a shelf in the IT office a Altair 8800 by the looks of it, now that would be an expensive prop if its real.

It's real. There was a programme on last night about the 'making of' and all the kit on the rack is borrowed from a Museum of Computing. I presume the one at Bletchley Park.

Wow, I have museum piece (atari 8800) under my childhood bed?! I believe it is a model with 1M ram and double-side double density (720KB) drive. It's quite an upgrade from the apple ][ clone I was using even with the B/W monitor.

1M ram

How much?

I don't know. My dad bought it in West Germany. I might be able to find its receipt if I'm lucky. It was 1988. He also got a 486 IBM compatible computer with 8MB ram and 200MB hard drive sometime after that, unlike me, still running C2D from 4-5 years ago.

No, I meant how much RAM? There was an Altair 8800, but it never had anything like 1MB RAM (or any means of addressing it, even if it had) and I don't remember any Atari 88xx