Arduino port not detected after update

Hi all,

I updated the arduino software and after that i noticed that the arduino is not detected on my pc. So nothing in devide manager and no sound or anything when i stick in the usb, tried all usb slots.

I also got my laptop, installed the newest arduino software and also nothing.

The arduino does get power through the usb and works perfectly with everything connected to it (display, leds, temp sensor and relay). Its just that i cannot upload my modified sketch anymore now :frowning:

Also good to know is that i placed a (original) R3 proto shield on the arduino and after connecting all the wires exactly the same as it was on the arduino, it went crazy, temp sensor showed crazy values and all external leds went on. This i did around same time i updated the software.

A schematics of the attached items would be quite useful.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.

Hi ballscrewbob,
At the moment i have disconnected al from the arduino and plugged in the usb port not being recognized by pc or laptop.
It has worked for weeks until today.

Does this help?

Not sure if i drawed the relay correct there

That helps a little.

Not a fan of long power wires with Arduino unless it is screened or has some form of filtering.
What size is that PSU ?
Breadboards are prone to disconnects and should not really be used for more permanent applications.
Fans, motors and such should also have diodes for reverse protection.

If you are using external power for an Arduino try keep it below 10 volts to avoid a breakdown of the on-board regulator.

Bob.

Its a 5V 10A power supply i use and there is a diode on the relays board btw.

Im not sure what the setup has to do with the com port not being recognized by my computer, even when i completely disconnect the arduino from all.

Oh and that previous picture is a bit outdated already, i changed the wires from the PSU with a red fire cable i found at work :slight_smile: that should be a bit better than 2 loose wires i guess.

Thats a much better picture.

I was just pointing out thinks that could cause errors.

That you have removed everything and still cannot get the Arduino to work would suggest it may have died.
Why it died is subject to debate.

As for there being a diode on the relay board that may or may not help but I saw a fan on the other board and if that was also running from a positive rail that comes back to the arduino there is still a chance of spikes.

Your schematic is a little difficult to read in the forum could you post it as a larger size schematic or a direct link to the full size picture please so I can zoom in and out a little better.

So when you say died it can still be powered by usb? Cause thats still the case.

I have no fan btw, let me post a bigger pic.

(mod edit)

That's better BUT...

It does not show the PSU connections in relationship to the Arduino.
Going by that picture you seem to have supplied all the items directly from the Arduino ?

If that is the case you are probably well past its limits of current supply.
This can cause untold issues right down to blown components as they may have struggled to meet the demands.

I thought it was a fan in the first poor picture on the left of it...My bad.

It is not uncommon for boards to still be able to be powered despite blown components but often they will not respond to commands or programming.
This is more true in the case of true Arduinos than the clones.

The thinkercad image is showing its powered from the arduino but all is actually powered from the PSU.
On the Arduino the red + wire goes in Vin port instead of the 5v port.

Im better in the actual building than in drawing circuits

Thomassen85:
So when you say died it can still be powered by usb? etizoco ,Cause thats still the case.

I have no fan btw, let me post a bigger pic.

(mod edit)

Thanks for it, this pic is better.

Thomassen85:
The thinkercad image is showing its powered from the arduino but all is actually powered from the PSU.
On the Arduino the red + wire goes in Vin port instead of the 5v port.

Im better in the actual building than in drawing circuits

5V from power supply should go to the 5V of the board.

You might have to be careful in that case; I don’t think that you can use 5V supply on the 5V pin and at the same time use the USB on e.g. an Uno or Mega (and possibly others).