Arduino Port not found

Hello,

I am currently working with an Arduino Uno Wifi Rev2 board, and for some reason the board just stopped appearing under ports on my computer. However, when I connected a different board (an Adafruit its Bitsy board) to my computer, it appeared under the ports. I've also tried updating the board library, restarting my computer, and using a more updated version of Arduino IDE.

The Uno board is still able to supply power from its pins and when plugged in and the ON LED is green. Does anyone have any ideas on why the board is not connecting / if this means that the board is broken?

Make sure the USB cable is completely plugged into both the Arduino board and the PC.

If that doesn't help, you may have a damaged/defective or charge-only USB cable. Try a different cable.

Either of the above can result in the power connections being made (and thus LED lights on the board), but no data connections (and thus no port for the board).

Thank you for the quick response! The cord was fully plugged in and I tried a few ports, and the arduino / cord have been fully working for months beforehand so I don’t know why they are acting up now.

I’ll try to find a new cord for the Uno, but in the meantime are there any reasons you can think of that would make it suddenly stop working like that?

Check that the cord works with other arduino boards first. If the cord is fine, it may have to do with the arduino. I broke my arduino once, probably because of drawing too many amps from a pin that was not designed to output that much. Also, check tx and rx pins are not connected in any way.

1 Like

Try these basic steps:

1. Install the lastest IDE, do a complete unistall first (https://support.arduino.cc/hc/en-us/articles/360021325733-How-to-do-a-complete-uninstall-of-the-Arduino-IDE)
  2. install the package core for your board, https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Cores
  3. Use a good quality data USB cable to connect the board to the computer without anything connected or wired to the board. Do not use USB 3.0 port or USB hub.

I'm starting to think it has something to do with the Arduino...

The cord works for a plain Arduino Uno board meaning it might be the board itself. I'm still holding out hope that that's not the case because the wifi board's pricy and it's been fun to work with.

When you broke your board, do you know if there's any parts of the Arduino that are still usable or once it's done does that just mean it can only be used to supply power?

I have a feeling that the actual 328 chip (I have a UNO) still works but one of the regulators was fried. I haven't tested anything yet so I'm not 100% sure. Currently I only use it for power.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.