Arduino Portable Weather Monitor (NEED HELP, NOOB HERE!) D:

Hi guys, i'm fairly new to programming and less to say arduino.

I've been trying to build a portable weather monitor for outdoor purposes using Arduino IDE 1.0.6

With help from this link
: http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Portable-Weather-Monitor-DHT11-and-BMP85-w/?ALLSTEPS

Following the comments, i downloaded the dht library from
: GitHub - RobTillaart/Arduino: libs and code

After placing the DHTlib file and LiquidCrystal_i2C files into the library folder in Arduino IDE 1.0.6

The problem is that i can't seem to fix this error.

In file included from sketch_oct29a.ino:3:
C:\Users\Jaydon\Desktop\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:80: error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual void LiquidCrystal_I2C::write(uint8_t)'
C:\Users\Jaydon\Desktop\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Print.h:48: error: overriding 'virtual size_t Print::write(uint8_t)'

I've tried replacing the Liquidcrystal_I2C library from different sources online but none of them seem to work.

Someone please help D:
Really noob at this..

Seeing as you haven't posted your code I'm guessing, but I would suggest trying IDE 1.0.5.

Is it okay to post it? Cause its really long, to me at least :confused:

Here it is. Any input will help alot thank you :slight_smile:

Coding.txt (9.01 KB)

Did you try IDE 1.0.5? 1.0.6 does appear to have some bugs in it.

C:\Users\Jaydon\Desktop\AeroQuad\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:80: error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual void LiquidCrystal_I2C::write(uint8_t)'
C:\Users\Jaydon\Desktop\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Print.h:48: error: overriding 'virtual size_t Print::write(uint8_t)'

The problem looks to be in the library, not your code - you just need to correct the return type.

@AWOL Yup, i can't seem to find the correct library thats compatible with IDE 1.0.6 though.

@dannable I haven't tried IDE 1.0.5 yet. Will give it a go to see if the error still prevails and update here.

Thanks for the replies guys :slight_smile:

I'd work on the premise that Print.h is part of the core, and so the LCD library is the one that needs fixing.

@dannable - Alright, tried it on IDE 1.0.5 and the same error appears.

@AWOL - Unfornately.. My knowledge of Arduino programming is too small so i'm not able to correct the error, therefore really needing help :frowning:

Now I'm home I've compiled your code using IDE 1.0.4 (I'm never the most up-to-date) and I get the message:

Binary sketch size: 12,264 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)

@dannable - Thanks for trying out the code.

May i know which DHT11 library and LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd library you're using? Mine don't seem compatible..

I'm at work now so I'll confirm the LCD library when I get home again, the the DHT library was Rob Tillart's as per your link.

The LCD library is headed YWRobot, by DFRobot, V1.1

@dannable Awesome! I replaced the LCD Library with DFRobot's version and its compiling now. Lucky to have your help dannable, wouldn't know what to do without you! :'D

If you are using the FMalpartida LiquidCrystal I2C lib... Follow the instructions in the download...
It replaces the code in the IDE library/LiquidCrystal folder.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino105\libraries\LiquidCrystal
and replaces the original somewhat clunky code with a much better and more universal library as it does all that LiquidCrystal does and adds I2C too...

Doc