Arduino POV Materials Question

I'm interested in building a rotating POV (persistence of vision) with an arduino. I have a quick question about the motorized part of it. (The motor will be seperately powered) I have a hobby motor, and a few motors from portable tape players (about the size of a hobby motor) in hand, but I don't know exactly if they will rotate fast enough for the POV to work. I'm planning on mounting the led's and the arduino to some light metal if I can find some around. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Do I need to purchase a better motor?

Well I think it's a math thing and depends on the number of characters you wish to display at any given time Vs the rpm of the motor. If you know the motor speed or can measure it, I'm sure some of the math gurus around here can give you a ball park idea of how long a message you can display flicker free. Without knowing the speed of the motor it's pretty much up to experimentation.

Lefty

Without knowing the speed of the motor it's pretty much up to experimentation.

Yeah, That's probably what I will end up doing.

For flicker free POV you need to rotate 32 times a second. That translates into just under 2000 RPM. Slower will work but it will be flickery. The slower the more pronounced the flicker. However any speed down to about 100 RPM will show something.

For flicker free POV you need to rotate 32 times a second. That translates into just under 2000 RPM. Slower will work but it will be flickery. The slower the more pronounced the flicker. However any speed down to about 100 RPM will show something.

Thanks for the useful information. I think I'm going to use the motor from the tape player, because I can hit "fast forward" and the motor will turn really fast. I don't know the RPM , but I'll probably just experiment with it.

-duemilanove