Arduino Powering

Hey everyone,

Today I have a few very simple question to ask.
I've recently been working on a gaming controller using my Arduino (I will be posting about that soon) and was wondering a few things.

1. Can an Arduino run a code without being plugged into my computer? I know I can click upload, but does it require something else?

2. What is the exact amount of voltage required to run an Arduino, and can I use just a 9v battery

3. Can all pins be used to gather input

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. yes, it only requires power.

2. regulated 5v if connected to Vcc or USB 7-12v if connected to the barrel jack so yes 9v works but 9v batteries are not really a good choice as they dont last long

3. all pins can be either input or output your choice

The Arduino is able to be run on its own if powered from a battery. The PC supplies 5v when plugged in. Your choice is to run it from a 5v source fed into the 5v input or a higher voltage into the power input jack.

The preferred range for the power input is 7.5 to 9v. This is less than the absolute range (up to about 20v) but it reduces the heating in the voltage regulator.

9v battery is a poor choice of supply because the voltage drops very quickly and cannot supply much current.

You need to look at the pin out diagram to see which pins do what. Most pins can be used for various functions.

Weedpharma

Avoid using pins 0 and 1, as these may interfere with uploading sketches.

weedpharma:
9v battery is a poor choice of supply because the voltage drops very quickly and cannot supply much current.

Weedpharma

If so, what kind of battery or power would you recommend me using?

The power supply depends on how much current you need. This depends on what you are connecting.

We need a complete description of what you are doing to be able to make a recommendation.

Weedpharma

I'd go with a wallwart unless you need to run from a battery pack:
http://www.dipmicro.com/store/DCA-07510