Arduino powers up but it's not in my device manager list

Hello I just received my Arduino yesterday and spent about 3 hrs trying to install the software with no luck.
I plug in my Arduino Uno and it powers up fine but my laptop does nothing, it won't automatically try to install the drivers, i go to device manager and there is nothing under "ports" so i can't even right click and manually install the drivers since i can't find the Arduino in the first place. I am running windows 7 professional 32 bit. If someone could please point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it because i don't know what else to try.

There is a power LED that should be solid. If the is a Genuine Uno a LED near the USB Port should be flashing (it appears to be random, but is actually morse code.)

Do you see that?

Yes there is a solid green LED that stays on then there's another green LED right below pin 13 (near the usb port) that blinks randomly. But my laptop doesn't read anything at all when i plug it in

This post has more info though no real solution:

Though the green power led may be on, the usb sends data through other cables in the A to B connector. So power leds don't necessarily mean anything. Have you tried another cable? Do you have access to another laptop? Delete the 0022 and try again. Permissions. Firewalls.

BTW I'm having the same problem; if you find a solution be sure to post the results.

cdillard:
Though the green power led may be on, the usb sends data through other cables in the A to B connector. So power leds don’t necessarily mean anything.

The Green LED alone isn’t very telling. The Green LED with a Random Pin 13 flashing LED confirms that the ATmega328p is working.

cdillard:
Delete the 0022 and try again. Permissions. Firewalls.

These are all worth trying if nothing else seems to work, but none of them have to do with a device showing up in Device Manager.

Know that before every Genuine Uno ships, it is programmed over USB with the Morse-Code flashing code. This is done to verify operation of all on-board chips. Generally, it is safe to assume the board is functional. However, here are a couple more ideas.

1. Try with and without a hub.
  2. Use a different cable. (Seriously.)
  3. Gently wiggle the USB connector while connected, see if it generates any activity on the PC.

On the subject of "geniune Uno" I bought my Mega 2560 from a second-party. Where do you recommend we buy these boards, to eliminate the unknown?

cdillard:
On the subject of "geniune Uno" I bought my Mega 2560 from a second-party. Where do you recommend we buy these boards, to eliminate the unknown?

The reason I stress Genuine is because it is a known design, not because of quality. The Arduino is an open-source design. Using a non-Genuine board carries the issue of the design being different. It makes it more difficult to troubleshoot when the exact hardware isn't known.

For example, when the Uno first came out, a batch of boards was sold on eBay with Uno silk screened on them. The problem? Instead of the Mega8u2 the boards used a FT232 as the serial-to-USB interface. Changes the behavior and troubleshooting steps.

I could not get my duemillanove to work when I bought it. I pushed the USB lead into the socket, the light came on, yet the computer refused to recognise it. Embarrasingly I found out, after several days, that I had not pushed the USB cable in properly. Although it felt secure, there must have been a bad/no connection for the serial lines. The solution? Push the USB cable in harder. I was worried about breaking it at first, and that could be a serious consideration. Until there is a connection, push. But before it breaks...

Onions.

Ok so i tried it on desktop running windows 7 and same thing, lights up but no activity on the pc, tried it on a desktop running windows xp and the same thing.
I turned off my firewall and no luck either, i'm gonna try to find another cable to try that.

Onions:
I had not pushed the USB cable in properly. Although it felt secure, there must have been a bad/no connection for the serial lines.

This is actually a design feature of the USB (and most other hot-swap) connectors. They are designed so that Ground is connected and +V are connected first, before data. Ground is to minimize spikes and power to give transceivers a chance to power-up before doing any work.

Ughhh i tried a different cable and it didn't work either, i'm sooooo frustrated i was so excited to get my Arduino now i feel like breaking it in half!

Is the device insertion sound played when you connect the Arduino? (if your computer is able to play sound)

To quickly recap my problem, I don't see COM ports or the 2560 in my laptop Device Manager, Windows 7 32 bit.

On the subject of pins, for my 2560, there is an amber led next to pin 13 that blinks twice when the reset button is pressed. What is the meaning of the two blinks? Is this good or bad?

There's a solid green led next to the reset that never turns off. Should there be another green led somewhere?

No it makes no sound when plugging it in and other devices like my phone will make the sound

Defective USB cable or loose connection is the most likely culprit.

Ughhh i tried a different cable and it didn't work either

Does either cable work with other USB devices?

I tried another 2 cables, that were from printers which work with the printers fine and still the same result. I also tried it on 2 more desktops here at work one with xp another with 7 and same thing, tried wiggling the cable around, pushing it in harder but nothing. I might try it on a mac tonight but if that doesn't work i'm assuming it's defective and i'll send it in for a new one i guess.

i'm assuming it's defective and i'll send it in for a new one i guess

Certainly sounds like it's defective. Were I in your shoes, I would not bother with any more testing.

Tried it on a Mac last night and didn't work either, i'm definitely sending it back for a replacement today.

Which board is it? Where did you buy it?