Arduino Pro IDE: "compiled sketch not found"

I’m trying to work with debugging under the Arduino Pro IDE.

I have an Arduino M0 Pro and a brand new Zero. Both have a SAMD21 as ‘normal’ uC and an Atmel EDBG chip as a built-in debugger.

I can compile and upload, but when I try to use the debugger I get: “Error during Debug: Cannot get command line for tool: compiled sketch not found in /build/arduino.samd.arduino_zero_edbg” Which is the case, there is no build folder there and I see at compile time: “wrote 11776 bytes from file /var/folders/1h/pdxnf4sj02vc5fn6zfz0btxw0000gn/T/arduino-sketch-43DC269124D9B7CDB9AC0670026DAF73/sketch_dec2a.ino.bin” which is a totally different location of course.

This is what my launch.json looks like:

[color=#d4d4d4]{
    // Use IntelliSense to learn about possible attributes.
    // Hover to view descriptions of existing attributes.
    // For more information, visit: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=830387
    "version": "0.2.0",
    "configurations": [                 
        {
            "name": "Atmel EDBG",
            "type": "arduino",
            "request": "launch",
            "program": "${file}",
            "cwd": "${workspaceFolder}",
            "MIMode": "gdb",
            "targetArchitecture": "arm",
            "miDebuggerPath": "${env:HOME}/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gdb",
            "debugServerPath": "${env:HOME}/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/openocd/0.9.0-arduino5-static/bin/openocd",
            "debugServerArgs": " -d2 -s ${env:HOME}/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/openocd/0.9.0-arduino5-static/share/openocd/scripts/ -f ${env:HOME}/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/samd/1.8.8/variants/arduino_zero/openocd_scripts/arduino_zero.cfg",
            "customLaunchSetupCommands": [
                {
                    "text": "target remote localhost:3333"
                },
                {
                    "text": "file \"${file}\""
                },
                {
                    "text": "load"
                },
                {
                    "text": "monitor reset halt"
                },
                {
                    "text": "monitor reset init"
                }
            ],
            "stopAtEntry": true,
            "serverStarted": "Info\\ :\\ [\\w\\d\\.]*:\\ hardware",
            "launchCompleteCommand": "exec-continue",
            "filterStderr": true,
            "args": [],
            "logging": { "trace": true, "traceResponse": true, "engineLogging": true }
        }
    ]
}[/color]

Obviously the one-million-dollar-question is, how do I fix this?

Using: macOS (Catalina)
Version: 0.1.2-nightly.20201202
CLI Version: 0.13.0 alpha [27381c5]

Thanks in advance / any help appreciated.

The lack of response should say something about the popularity of the IDE in the cloud....

Never used it- can't help you.

SteveMann:
The lack of response should say something about the popularity of the IDE in the cloud....

Never used it- can't help you.

The Arduino Web Editor is the cloud based IDE.

The Arduino Pro IDE is the one that will eventually replace the current IDE.

I rather like it myself.

Unfortunately I don't know how to help the OP but maybe this bump will catch the attention of someone who can.

Well that is part of the challenge indeed! We (undergraduate engineering school) did not like Arduino at all, but as Arduino is becoming more professional and (I think) has great use cases for rapid prototyping purposes, I have convinced my colleagues to at least do some Arduino courses. Right now we are still using Atmel Studio and while we partially will replace it with MPLab, I think using the Pro IDE (and/or Visual Studio Code) would also allow us to bring it up to a more professional level, there is still a way too large gap between embedded systems engineering and the hobby community I guess even though the gap is becoming smaller.

I found and solved the problem (at least what I think the problem was). macOS forced 64-bit binaries last year. By removing (better: renaming) Arduino15, the IDE was forced to download the newest 64-bit tools. That apparently solved it.