Arduino Pro Micro not recognized by PC/IDE

Hello folks,
my brand new Pro Micro with an ATmega32U4 5V 16MHz doesn’t get recognized by PC and the IDE.
First off, after plugging it in first time, windows reported that a new device is being installed, and was installed as a Arduino Leonardo, even though I didn’t previously install drivers as noted on sparkfun’s website.

Afterwards, I installed the needed drivers for Windows, later for IDE too. And afterwards, Leonardo disappeard, and an “uknown device” in the Device manager appeard - installing drivers results in a failure every single time.

After this, my Pro Micro gets recognized as an unknown device by Windows everytime I plug it into the PC.
In the IDE, the Arduino is seen as being on port COM1 always, no matter which port I actually really use.

Later (for whatever reason) I uninstalled the “Uknown device” device in the Device manager. And I’m here.

Really confused, and by uploading the code, nothing really happens, the green progeess bar just fills up and stays like that until a few minutes, until it pukes out an error: “avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: exit bootloader”. The sketch doesn’t really matter, even empty ones don’t do anything different.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

It certainly sounds like you are stuck in a loop with the drivers.

First off is it a clone or an original ?
BTW we dont really care which but it may be important !
I have seen clone Chinese nanos advertised as pro micros and vice versa.

Rather than just keep trying other drivers try rolling back the drivers (under windows that is a good option) until you get back to the original driver. (other OS may have similar options)

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

Go to

C:/ Program Files(x86)/ Arduino/ drivers

And install all the drivers there. Don't install the .cat file.

@ArnavPawarAA

Continued installation of drivers does not guarantee a fix !
More so if the board is not what we think it is.

Lets find out EXACTLY what the OP has before throwing more drivers on the pile.

ballscrewbob:
It certainly sounds like you are stuck in a loop with the drivers.

First off is it a clone or an original ?
BTW we dont really care which but it may be important !
I have seen clone Chinese nanos advertised as pro micros and vice versa.

Rather than just keep trying other drivers try rolling back the drivers (under windows that is a good option) until you get back to the original driver. (other OS may have similar options)

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

Yes, it is a clone. Didn't really have 18€ for creating a simple HID device.
Anyways, it IS a Pro Micro, I have a few Nanos too and they're not even close.
I tried rolling back drivers and the option is grayeded out in the driver properties.

Then start by "un-installing" the current driver and restart the computer then make sure it rolled back using that method (slower but also works on win 7-10)

Also make sure you dont have the drivers installed via the "software" method which some packages use in the add/remove software window.

A simple picture of both sides of the board may also be useful to people as a quick references.

Also turning OFF the UAC (in windows) can be useful with drivers.

Here are the images: Album — Postimages
Anyways, I tried all of it. Nothing still works. The Arduino is detected as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" and that's all. Upon trying to install drivers for it directly (aka. updating them manually), it says that the best driver is already installed for the device.

There was once before showing a "unknown device" when I plug it in, but I uninstalled the device/driver and since then, the driver isn't appearing anymore.

I'm really confused now.

Also, the COM port isn't even properly shown. It stays "COM1" the whole time no matter is it plugged in or what port is it on actually.

Hmm ... COM 1 (under windows at least) is a default port and almost never associated with Arduino.
If it is windows 10 you may need to enable "show hidden devices"

Can we have pics of the board (both sides in focus)

So, I showed the hidden devices in Device manager and those showed up:

Even though I'm still unable to install drivers for it, Windows still stays the best ones are already installed.
I hope those are good news, well atleast that Arduino showed up again.

Here are the pics. Still not the best quality, but it is a really small board.

Sorry but some odd links does not work well as most of us dont wander to outside links.
If you could post it here please it would be better.

Is it possible you uploaded to it as a Leonardo at some time ?

It also looks like it is stuck in BOOTLOADER mode and I dont know if that was a double click reset thing you may have done (common trick to push some boards into bootloader mode)
Or if it is stuck in that state ?

If it is stuck in that state then I think it may be time to move you to the bootloader section for some better help.

I made it. I shorted the RST and GND pins in the right moment while uploading the code, and it just uploaded. Now it works perfectly, without the need of reseting it.
It uploads the code fine, the code works, no more errors or driver issues. I tested a few codes and they work fine. Now it's time to use it as HID device.

Thanls for all the assistance :slight_smile: