Arduino Pro Micro on Windows 10

Hi everyone,

I am trying to download the Arduino Pro Micro drivers on Windows 10, but I am running into some issues. I have configured my COM4 port to use the SparkFun drivers, and the port is now named "SparkFun Pro Micro (COM4)". The issue that I am running into is that the board does not seem to be linked to the COM4 port anymore, because the COM4 port always shows up in Device Manager whether or not the Arduino is plugged in. Aside from that, I followed SparkFun's guide about how to configure the IDE's board settings so that it recognizes the Arduino Pro Micro. Now that I've done all that, I am getting this error:

Sketch uses 3460 bytes (12%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 149 bytes (5%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2411 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2560 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM4
processing.app.debug.RunnerException
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:152)
at cc.arduino.UploaderUtils.upload(UploaderUtils.java:77)
at processing.app.SketchController.upload(SketchController.java:732)
at processing.app.SketchController.exportApplet(SketchController.java:703)
at processing.app.Editor$UploadHandler.run(Editor.java:2055)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: processing.app.SerialException: Error touching serial port 'COM4'.
at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:107)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:136)
... 5 more
Caused by: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - COM4; Method name - openPort(); Exception type - Port busy.
at jssc.SerialPort.openPort(SerialPort.java:164)
at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:101)
... 6 more

So apparently the COM4 port is busy. How do I fix this? Like I said earlier, I think it has something to do with the fact that my Arduino no longer seems to be linked with the COM4 port, and the COM4 port is always shown as active in the Device Manager.

Sorry if this is confusing,
Thanks in advance

I assume that you made the change to fixed COM4 via device manager; that's usually a bad idea. So try to clean that up.

You can wire a button between the reset pin and GND. When you see "Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM4", press and release the button.

That should do the trick. You can observe the reset behaviour in Windows device manager; I can't remember exactly what to look for, I think it might be some entry with "bootloader" in the name (no ProMicro at hand).

Note:
To my knowledge, I've never installed a driver for the ProMicro.

sterretje:
I assume that you made the change to fixed COM4 via device manager; that's usually a bad idea. So try to clean that up.

You can wire a button between the reset pin and GND. When you see "Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM4", press and release the button.

That should do the trick. You can observe the reset behaviour in Windows device manager; I can't remember exactly what to look for, I think it might be some entry with "bootloader" in the name (no ProMicro at hand).

Note:
To my knowledge, I've never installed a driver for the ProMicro.

Is there any other way to reset it? My arduino is already in a PCB and it is kind of hard for me to wire anything up to it.

Okay nevermind. Just found out that charge only Micro USBs exist. I almost lost my sanity.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.