Arduino Pro mini and a FT232RL breakout board

I have the following from sparkfun: -Arduino Pro Mini - 5V/16MHz -Breakout Board for FT232RL USB to Serial

To program the arduino, I connected the RX and TX line with 1K limiting resistor. I also removed the jumper and tied VCCIO to 5V. I tied the DTRs together for the reset. When I try to program, I get the following:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

What is going on?

By the way, when I connected the Arduino Pro Mini through another Arduino (Decilmila) board I had laying around, it programmed fine. So therefore, the problem has to be with the FT232RL. How do I remedy that?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks ahead of time!

Did you select the correct board type from the pull-down menu?

Yes, I used the Diecimila setting since its running the same thing (5 V at 16 Mhz). Many resources confirmed this choice. I guess my real problem is with the FT232RL breakout board. Because when I used the Diecimila to program the Mini Pro, it worked fine.

Do I need to tie the reset of the FT232RL to high (5V)?

Using the decimilia, I uploaded a sketch that listens for a serial input and then emits a serial output. That works. So the RX and TX lines are working. I guess there is something with the reset because when I connect the mini pro through the decimilia's ft232rl, all I connect are the TX, RX, and reset pin. I am running a direct wire from DTR from the ft232rl to the reset pin on the arduino mini pro. But nothing really is working. Ideas?

So I guess its the upload part that doesn't work (its pointing to the reset wire). Ideas? Schematics are on the the sparkfun site...I'm just staring at them not seeing anything.

You need a 100 nF capacitor between DTR and the reset line. The DTR goes low the whole time the port is open, so you only want to trigger the reset on a falling edge.