Arduino Pro Mini Board Selection

When I look at the arduino ide and selete the board section.

There is only the pro mini with 328p at 8mhz.

Is it ok to use this with a pro mini at 16mhz?

Thanks.

Is it a 3.3V version or 5V version?

Officially, 16MHz at 3.3V will not be supported, because this is outside the range of speeds Atmel allows for this voltage.

If you go to the sparkfun page for the 5V version of the pro mini, it says

This is a 5V Arduino running the 16MHz bootloader (select ‘Arduino Duemilanove w/ 328’ within the Arduino software)

So it seems unlikely that it will get it’s own entry in the “Boards” menu - there is enough there already, and the standard Duemilanove entry works.

Hi,

So it seems unlikely that it will get it’s own entry in the “Boards” menu - there is enough there already, and the standard Duemilanove entry works.

but it is far from user-friendly if people have to use a search engine to find some correct software-setting. At least every “official” board deserves its own menu-entry or should be mentioned on the list of compatible boards. I filed a bug-report for this.

Eberhard

Cool! Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

As far as I know Sparkfun designed and manufactured this board, and they are the only seller. So you’d at least have to go to the product page once…

Hi,
official boards should get official entries :
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardProMini
(Google top entry for “arduino pro mini 5V”)

There is nothing on this page that says :
Please go to sparkfun.com for information on how to use this product.
BTW:
It took longer to write this reply that it would take to update the arduino board-config file to fix the bug.

Eberhard

FYI,

I tried to select the Duemilanove w/ 328 for the 5v mini pro 328p.

And it did not program.

It successfully connected and programmed with the 8mhz board setting. However, I was concerned that I might be limiting something by doing that.

Thanks,

Hi,

It successfully connected and programmed with the 8mhz board setting. However, I was concerned that I might be limiting something by doing that.

Yes it does I fear. As far as I know all time dependent functions millis/delay etc. are based on using the correct clock-speed when the sketches are compiled. Also I can’t understand why the “Duemilanove w/ 328” should not work. All the hardware settings are the same except the clockspeed, which has nothing to do with the upload process.

Where there any error messages with the “Duemilanove w/ 328”
You should really try again.

Eberhard

I’ll try again, but I think I tired multiple times.

Also I think I tried the other 328 options. If I remember right, the only one that worked was the 5v/8mhz.

I’ll check again when I get home. I’m not using the mini yet. So it’s not a huge deal. I just thought it was weird.

I have been using the Lilypad 328 settings with the pro mini 5v 16mhz board and everything seems to be working ok

This is the error message when selecting the ‘Arduino Duemilanove w/ 328’. I just tried again with the latest 0017.

Binary sketch size: 1168 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

The Lilypad-328 one works as stated above.

Hi,
sorry it didn’t work, but you are not the only one having this trouble it seems as Google spits out quite a few links for
“arduino pro mini avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00”
Maybe its not the board itself, but the USB-upload interface?
I have run out of ideas, sorry
Eberhard

I seem to remember reading somewhere that with the external USB interface, the Pro Mini does not do a reset when bootloading. Have you tried manually resetting the Pro Mini just before you start the download?

-Mike

I does the reset on the other board settings and programs correctly.

I have gotten the Arduino Duemilanove w/ 328 setting to work one time out of a dozen or so tries. By reseting it and hoping for the best.

The other board settings, all I need to do is press program and it does.

I guess for the time being, I’ll use the lillypad and hope that it works correctly.