Arduino Pro Mini can not upload program

Hello all, new member here :slight_smile:

I just received my Arduino Pro Mini and USB Programmer (Links:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281368337443?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181588149806?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

and I've been trying to upload this program to it all day but I keep getting no sync errors. Here is how I wired it up: http://puu.sh/hw6mC/67a4773814.jpg (Sorry I don't have a camera to use at the moment)

Error codes:

Arduino: 1.6.3 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega328 (3.3V, 8 MHz)"

Sketch uses 6,346 bytes (20%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes.

Global variables use 396 bytes (19%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,652 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9f

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9f

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9f

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9f

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9f

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9f

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9f

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9f

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9f

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9f

I am 100% sure I have the correct board and COM port selected in the Arduino IDE.

If more information is needed, please ask.

Thank you.

bump

Are you sure there is a bootloader installed? Clones/counterfeits often do not.

Hi, Thank you for replying. How would I check?

bump

You can tell if your board has its bootloader by observing the 'L' led when you restart, or first power on, the board.

If it blinks rapidly a few times, shortly after it is powered on, then the device should have the bootloader installed.

It blinks when I plug it in and reset the board but it just blinks once. I don't know if it's the right LED I am looking at but here is a picture to confirm: http://puu.sh/hyf4S/e4042688c3.jpg

It just flashes green once and then continues to flash every second.

Okay... Just an observation, after looking at your usb-ttl device i came to realise that it only has five pins. What are they?

I ask because the arduino needs to be reset while being programmed. If your usb programmer does not have a dtr line you can generally bypass the need for one by manually resetting the board. To do this takes a bit of guesswork but generlly can get by resetting the pro mini around the time that the ide reports the size of the compiled sketch.

If a manual reset does not work then it is safe to say that you would need to reload the devices bootloader. For this you would need an isp device of some sort, although almost any Arduino board can be used in its place.

They are: GND, RXD, TXD, 5.0V, 3.3V.

Here is how I have it wired up:

USB: GND, RXD, TXD, 5.0V, 3.3V.
BOARD: GND, VCC, RX, TX, GRN.

Sorry about the delay in replying, I was offline for some time. Were you able to upload by manually resetting the board?

SantinoPrice:
Sorry about the delay in replying, I was offline for some time. Were you able to upload by manually resetting the board?

No worries. Nah I've tried that multiple times with no luck. I did realise something though, if I remove the board from the USB adapter and just plug that in, I get the exact same error. In my previous post I posted how I have them wired up to eachother, does it look correct?

MWei89:
They are: GND, RXD, TXD, 5.0V, 3.3V.

Here is how I have it wired up:

USB: GND, RXD, TXD, 5.0V, 3.3V.
BOARD: GND, VCC, RX, TX, GRN.

It seems to me that your connection is incorrect. Did not realise earlier as I was a bit distracted.

The connection should be as below... With the pins on usb connected to the pin below it.

USB: GRN, RXD, TXD, 3.3V, 5.0V
BOARD: GRN, TXD, RXD, VCC, NC

Let me know if that is clear.

Edit : NC : Not connected.

SantinoPrice:
It seems to me that your connection is incorrect. Did not realise earlier as I was a bit distracted.

The connection should be as below... With the pins on usb connected to the pin below it.

Yeah I understand that, unfortunately I would have to solder wires to the pins and my soldering iron died last night :frowning:

SantinoPrice:

I got my soldering iron working and I wired it up like you said but now the arduino is not powering up at all.

Edit: Got it to work, I made a small mistake with the wiring. Anyway, I tried uploading the program but I get the same error. I noticed that you said TXD goes to RXD, is that correct?

FIXED IT!

I followed the wiring that SantinoPrice said but wired GND from the USB to BLK on the arduino board and it worked :smiley:

Thank you all so much!