Arduino Pro Mini housed in industrial/harsh environments

Hello,

The Arduino Pro Mini Overview section notes that:

'The Arduino Pro Mini is intended for semi-permanent installation in objects or exhibitions'.

We have selected the Pro Mini because we need a very small board for our applications. We tested them indoors and would like to deploy them outdoors in industrial/harsh environments, where there is lots of ground shaking, high/low temperature, and high humidity ... etc.

And in some cases, the solution has to run for 24x7.

The Pro Mini will be housed and cooled by a fan of course.

Is this recommended with the Pro Mini or shall we change the board? And which board in case the latter case?

Thanks.

Why would you expect the Pro Mini to be fan-cooled?

In itself, it should not heat up appreciably.

You may have other components that heat - and may require fan cooling - in which case they are likely to be the concern regarding reliability.

The Pro Mini could generally be in a sealed container, possibly packed with some "silica gel" desiccant.

How hot, how cold, what humidity?
Check the data sheets for the individual components.

Paul__B:
Why would you expect the Pro Mini to be fan-cooled?

In itself, it should not heat up appreciably.

You may have other components that heat - and may require fan cooling - in which case they are likely to be the concern regarding reliability.

The Pro Mini could generally be in a sealed container, possibly packed with some "silica gel" desiccant.

The heat is due to the environment and not the components themselves. The fan is meant to reduce the outdoor temperature in the housing (container).

So my concern is that when the outdoor env is 48 degrees celcius, with humidity up to 20%, ground shaping, sanding ... etc, and the Mini Pro doc saying:

'The Arduino Pro Mini is intended for semi-permanent installation in objects or exhibitions'.

I am skeptical that it is the right choice.

LarryD:
How hot, how cold, what humidity?
Check the data sheets for the individual components.

Temp can reach 48 degrees (possibly more sometimes), humidity 20% (possibly more too), and lots of ground shaking due to mobile machineries.

My primary concern is the doc saying:

Well, a fan will not make the Arduino cooler, as it does not sweat. 48 degrees is 48 degrees.

In terms of humidity, you would be best to mount the Pro Mini in a sealed enclosure with a desiccant. I am deliberately not speaking for the other interface equipment as you have not cited any such. If it requires heat-sinking, then you make the heatsink part of the wall of the sealed enclosure and place a finned heatsink and fan on the outside.

If vibration is a concern, you screw down each part, and secure the screws and nuts with a dob of silicone sealant (fully cured 72 hours before you seal the enclosure).

If you want any assembly "better" than a Pro Mini, then you need to have it custom made from military specification parts.

Ok thanks.