Arduino/Processing conflict

Would you please explain why I am having difficulty running Arduino and Processing on my Mac notebook? Arduino files are opening in Processing. Thank you.

Would you please explain why I am having difficulty running Arduino and Processing on my Mac notebook? Arduino files are opening in Processing. Thank you.

Well I have a windows XP system so I'm not sure how an Mac works, but if I just double click on a .pde filte in explorer, it opens in Processing, not the Arduino IDE. You can only load sketches (.pde files) from the file drop down menu in the Arduino IDE. At least that is how it works on my system.

Lefty

When I try to download Arduino I see: Uncaught exception in main method:java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError.......Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib: How can I resolve this problem?

by default,

arduino sketch will open up in processing, just right click(press control) and you get options.

Yes as people have said processing and Arduino both have the same extension. However on a Mac, select the file and bring up the info box. You will see an "Open with" option. Change that to Arduino and don't check the "open all files of this type" box. Then when ever you double click that file it will open in the Arduino. Or you can do it the other way round and make the Arduino the default and processing the exception.

Or in Windows: From Windows Explorer, click: Tools , Folder Options, File Types Select PDE and click the Change button Browse to Arduino and click OK

Yes, I see how to open the file with Arduino. Now, a "Cannot launch Java application" window appears with "Java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError" I have tried downloading again with the same result.

in my XP it also open with processing... because the .pde file is defaulted to be open by prscessing . the reason may be u first setup the Arduino and then install the processing , so the last set itself for the .pde file . you can change the default sofeware for .pde

Hello All,

First, I apologize in advance for this newbie question, but I think I've been laboring under some misconception(s) along the way here:

I have a Boarduino, with a serial/USB adapter cable; it generally works fine.

I'm working on a long-term project utilizing an OpAmp and an IR temp sensor (thermopile, with temp vs. voltage output) to input to my Boarduino, then to my serial/USB cable, then to either a linux (Ubuntu) computer, or a Windows or Mac computer (I have one of each, I don't know which I'll wind up using for my final project). Right now, I'm running Ubuntu 8.4 and have Processing working OK, it seems.

I downloaded Silver's Arduino code for a contact temp sensor in order to to test and play with my circuitry until I understood things better, before looking for, or writing a more sophisticated piece of code to display a bar graph of the output.

What I've been investigating is Processing sketches, which seem well-suited for my eventual goal.

Now here's the rub: can I load and run a Processing sketch on my Boarduino, or does it have to be Arduino or Wiring code? (Incidentally, my Atmel chip came pre-loaded with an Arduino boot loader).

So, I think I'm asking, if I write/find a good Processing sketch for my project can I use it somehow? Do I have to re-write the sketch substituting Arduino protocols? What is the recommended way for me to proceed?

Am I just hopelessly all confused?

Thanks VERY much for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Les aka, DoctorLes

can I load and run a Processing sketch on my Boarduino

NO.

or does it have to be Arduino or Wiring code?

Yes Arduino not Wiring.

Do I have to re-write the sketch substituting Arduino protocols?

Yes

Les, although Arduino and Processing share a similar IDE, they are suited to different tasks. If you need a PC type user interface then Processing is a good choice and you can use processing code with a protocol that talks your Arduino. Have a look at Firmata : http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Firmata

If you want a stand alone system that does not need another computer to function then you would want to write your sketch using Arduino code.