Arduino Project Book, Project 01, page 24

There is a black and red line on the photo diagram- not identified.
Please help me understand- is it representing a black and red wire?
Thank you

Yes those are wires…

Thank you JimboZA
I see there are jumper wires in the kit, and I’m guessing that’s what is shown in the photo diagram, but the colors are not quite right- ie, I have an orange one that spans the distance shown for the red, then a blue one, that I have to bend to connect like the one in the picture that looks black.
Got it to work, but still having some questions.
Apologies for being so basic.
I see some links in your signature-
<Have you looked for answers in the Learning, Reference…
and electronics club info>
but there is much there to sort through.
I’m in need of very basic info, like how hard to push down on the 220-ohm resistor and the LED into the breadboard, and should I be trimming any of the wires? The resistor seems to be very tall and wobbly.
Any specific references to basic understanding is appreciated.

It's difficult to describe how far to push the wires in: it's a matter of "feel" I guess. If the insulation is cut back far enough, you'll probably hit the bottom of the hole which is ok. I only trim the wires if I'm making up something that might last on breadboard for a while, makes it a bit more secure. On the other hand you can't uncut a wire, and if you need the resistor to span a long way, well that's difficult if you cut it tpp short on a previous project. Only thing to watch out for, if you have long wobbly wires, is that they might by mistake touch other bare wires. That can be bad if it causes say a short from 5v to ground....

Don't worry about the colours of the wires, and yeah if you only have long ones left, well bend them.

You don't have to connect the things exactly as the breadboard, as long as the circuit is the same. To start, I guess it's easier to follow the layout exactly, less scope for error. But remember that the 5 holes in a breadboard row are connected to each other, so you can jam a wire into a different hole in the same row if that's more convenient.

Main thing is to make sure that the circuit is electrically correct, even if it's physically off.

Thank you!