Arduino project that involves major programming in C

Hey,
I have an arduino starters kit. Fact is, I haven't had time to open it. I have knowledge in electronics and in C and other programming languages.
My question is - I am a bit "rusty" in the C programming language and in a few weeks I also have to show my knowledge in it(some sort of an exam). So I though I could combine the two: do a nice arduino project that involves some major C coding. Moreover, I'd be more than happy coding in C something someone else needs that involves the kit.

So my question is, are there any "shelf" arduino projects that demand some more than usual coding? (and that don't request parts too special/expensive).
Or perhaps is there anyone here that needs some coding done?

Thanks,
nk

I have something you can do that's not too hard but should get you going.

Try to make a banking program that can have multiple users and that can handle all their transactions. Make sure to include some kind of a password or ID system. Also have a Master user that can add new users and have access to all accounts.

And for an added bonus, have a theft system. The theft system sees if any of the passwords are entered backwards, and if they are, you would "call 911" and still be able to allow the user to access there money without revealing any of there important information.

Good enough?
Again, its not for me, its just to give you something to do, that will show your knowledge.

nk20002:
I am a bit “rusty” in the C programming language and in a few weeks I also have to show my knowledge in it(some sort of an exam).

What are your strengths and weaknesses, and what capabilities do you want to show off?

I mean - are you interested in and capable of making a system with a substantial hardware component such as a balance bot or a walker? Can you cope with electronic design and construction well enough to build a PoV display or LED cube? Do you want to involve processing off the Arduino such as PC application, database, web front end etc for a data acquisition system of some sort?

Really, the choice needs to be driven by what sort of thing interests you, how complex a project you can safely expect to complete in the time available, and what sort of impression you’re aiming to make when you make your presentation.

How about implementing the 5 LED random blink program as a non-pre-emptive multitasking system using a doubly linked list? Make sure you use a quiksort to sort the nodes by wakeup time.

Hey, thanks all.
HazardMinds - perhaps I didn't get you right. Is that system on the arduino?
PeterH - Definitely not capable of the things you listed, yet. However, after reading a bit, making a PoV display sounds like a great future project.
TanHardon - you got my intentions exactly. sounds like what I am looking for.

perhaps I didn't get you right. Is that system on the arduino?

Yes, it would use the serial monitor, and maybe a RFID reader.

You know what would be a really fun project? Get a GSM shield and program a variant of Mafia where the Arduino is the narrator, and everyone has to use SMS messages to play parts of the game. Or at least lighting and sound effects.

Moderator edit: link corrected