Arduino + Pulse Rate Sensor + Camera

Hi,

My idea: Taking still photos when triggered by a pulse rate sensor and saving it onto a SD card. The device is to be worn on a dog.

1) First of all, is the arduino uno powerful enough for my application?

2) Any recommendations on the camera module to use? Something that takes decent picture.

PS: Trying to replicate something similar to this. http://heartography.nikon-asia.com/#how-it-works

Would appreciate some inputs. Thanks!

1) Yes. 2) Nothing carried by a dog would give results that I would consider "decent." A dog is not a decent substitute for a photographer. But any camera with 2MP or more would be "useable" in my opinion.

Measuring the pulse rate of a dog looks quite complicated to me. Do you already have an idea?

1) First of all, is the arduino uno powerful enough for my application?

Well I would say no. Arduino still image to SD card - 10 to 15 seconds with a jpeg encoded serial camera. And that is not doing anything else.

Measuring the pulse rate is hard enough on a person, so that is the weak spot of the project.

DrDiettrich: Measuring the pulse rate of a dog looks quite complicated to me. Do you already have an idea?

Thanks for the inputs. After more research, have decided to use the polar wireless heart rate senator with a receiver board instead. The transmitter would be worn around the neck of the neck.

Grumpy_Mike: Well I would say no. Arduino still image to SD card - 10 to 15 seconds with a jpeg encoded serial camera. And that is not doing anything else.

Measuring the pulse rate is hard enough on a person, so that is the weak spot of the project.

Thanks for your inputs! Would using a more powerful arduino help? Eg better ram? Or should I use some other boards such as the rasberry pi or Edison board? Originally decided on the Uno due to its smaller form factor for use as a wearable. If the prototype worked, the plan was to use a lily pad/flora.

Would using a more powerful arduino help? Eg better ram?

Yes but only the Yun would stand a chance of doing anything.

Or should I use some other boards such as the rasberry pi or Edison board?

The Raspberry Pi could do it but it takes a lot of current for a mobile device. I have no experience with the Edison as my experience with the Galileo put me off Intel designed development boards.