Arduino pythonista upload

Hey Robin2,

I was reading a forum post you replied to about using python as a way to upload arduino sketches.

I was wondering if you could help me with a similar thing I am trying to do. I am using something call pythonista, and app for iphone that is python 3.

I has bluetooth capabilities built in. I was wondering if there was a way to write a program in pythonista that would allow me to upload an arduino sketch over a bluetooth enabled arduino. I'm hoping it could be made to be as simple as writing the code in an arduino text editor, and then putting it in quotes in a print function in pythonista, and hitting send. If that makes any sense still all. Anyway, hope you do the kind the PM. Thanks for all your help in the forums.
Steven

SteveRogers:
I has bluetooth capabilities built in. I was wondering if there was a way to write a program in pythonista that would allow me to upload an arduino sketch over a bluetooth enabled arduino. I'm hoping it could be made to be as simple as writing the code in an arduino text editor, and then putting it in quotes in a print function in pythonista, and hitting send. If that makes any sense still all.

I don't see how that can work.

The way I use Python to upload programs it is just a "wrapper" that presents the code to the Arduino IDE in the correct way. The Arduino IDE is still responsible for compiling the code and sending it to the Arduino over the USB cable.

I believe it is possible to replace the USB cable with a Bluetooth link but I have never tried it myself. However it is not possible for Python to generate the code to be uploaded to an Arduino board without the help of the Arduino IDE and your description is missing that part of the jigsaw.

...R

So, is there a way to put the compiler on the arduino itself, and when it receives code from pythonista, it compiles it? Sort of an onboard embedded compiler?

SteveRogers:
So, is there a way to put the compiler on the arduino itself,

That is out of the question. Think about it - a PC probably has 2GB of RAM and a huge hard disk whereas an Uno has 2k of RAM. The PC also runs at least 100 times faster.

...R