Arduino Racing Simulator Button Box - Can it be done?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at creating a button box for my racing simulator to work with the xbox one.

I've seen people hack apart an old keyboard to make this work, but I want to use an arduino for a couple of reasons.

The first reason is the use of LED's, it would be really handy to be able to press a button such as "ABS", and have an LED light on and off so you can quickly and visually see whether you have it turned on or not.

The second reason is in project cars 2, you can assign a keystroke for headlights, but you can't flash them, it would be really handy to use the arduino to manipulate the headlight keystroke to flash the headlights for a few seconds like in le mans.

My main question is pretty much as per the title, can this be done with an arduino, especially given it's being plugged into an xbox?

The searching i've seen is it can be done when connected to a computer, with a python program communicating with the arduino so it knows when to turn the LED on and off when the key is pressed.

Cheer's everyone!

Can it be done with an Arduino? No one will know until you actually document what you want to do and that includes all the electronic signals between the devices. Once that is done, then you will be able get and answer.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Can it be done with an Arduino? No one will know until you actually document what you want to do and that includes all the electronic signals between the devices. Once that is done, then you will be able get and answer.

Paul

When a button is pressed on the box, the arduino detects this signal, translates it to a keystroke such as the letter "K", sends that keystroke command to the xbox. An LED above said button is then turned on.

This is the only button box for M$ you'll ever need: ctrlaltdel.jpg

ctrlaltdel.jpg