Arduino : reading 2 UARTs + writing to USB + wifi. Too much to ask ?

Hello,

I'm buildng an art installation and one of the components need to do the following task

• Read two (2) UARTs (115000 baudrate)
  • Aggregate those feeds data and send in realtime to remote server via *WIFI *
  • Receive some data from same server via WIFI and send it to another device via USB port

I have Arduino Mega2560.

I wonder if this is too much for Arduino to handle: Two UARTS + USB (output) + Wifi ?

Maybe RaspberryPI with two USB-FDTI dongles would be a better solution ?

Thanks M

I'd say a Arduino DUE or a ESP32 could handle the chore. DUE would be great cause you can use its programing USB port and its main USB port separately and thus program and debug USB without having to plug/un-plug the USB cable for testing/program upload.

Of course an RPi could do the job.

sfr75: Hello,

I'm buildng an art installation and one of the components need to do the following task

• Read two (2) UARTs (115000 baudrate)
  • Aggregate those feeds data and send in realtime to remote server via WIFI
  • Receive some data from same server via WIFI and send it to another device via USB port

I have Arduino Mega2560.

I wonder if this is too much for Arduino to handle: Two UARTS + USB (output) + Wifi ?

Maybe RaspberryPI with two USB-FDTI dongles would be a better solution ?

Thanks M

no problem with Mega. this 8-bit MCUs can do more then PC CPUs could do around 1990

I was thinking of adding the Mega to the can do list, thanks for affirming.

Juraj: no problem with Mega. this 8-bit MCUs can do more then PC CPUs could do around 1990

Thanks for quick answer. If I understand correctly bare Mega doesn't have 1) WIFI (need a shield?) 2) USB host (need another shield?) That's lot of shields. Thanks M

Juraj:
no problem with Mega.
this 8-bit MCUs can do more then PC CPUs could do around 1990

In 1988 I was running my company’s Novell network from a 386 server with 4MB RAM and a 120MB HDD.
I wouldn’t have attempted that on a Mega 2560, had it been available.

Idahowalker: I'd say a Arduino DUE or a ESP32 could handle the chore. DUE would be great cause you can use its programing USB port and its main USB port separately and thus program and debug USB without having to plug/un-plug the USB cable for testing/program upload.

Of course an RPi could do the job.

Thanks. So you are saying that the same USB interface used for programming (connecting Arduino to PC) can be used as USB Host for other devices ? :o

sfr75: Thanks. So you are saying that the same USB interface used for programming (connecting Arduino to PC) can be used as USB Host for other devices ? :o

I'm saying that the USB port used for programing can be coded to do different things. Like plugging the USB port on my ESP32 into my computer and receiving information from the ESP32 directly into Excel. It depends on how you code the USB.

Idahowalker: I'm saying that the USB port used for programing can be coded to do different things. Like plugging the USB port on my ESP32 into my computer and receiving information from the ESP32 directly into Excel. It depends on how you code the USB.

ok, I see. so going back to Mega, no USB shield is required. But WIFI is needed...

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL: In 1988 I was running my company's Novell network from a 386 server with 4MB RAM and a 120MB HDD. I wouldn't have attempted that on a Mega 2560, had it been available.

it is more for Bar Sport, but 386 was a top PC server then, not a common PC.

sfr75: Thanks for quick answer. If I understand correctly bare Mega doesn't have 1) WIFI (need a shield?) 2) USB host (need another shield?) That's lot of shields. Thanks M

why do you need a USB host? Mega can only Serial over USB

Juraj:

The PCs on the network were a mix of 88, 286 and 386, running common office apps that wouldn’t go anywhere near an AVR.

Juraj:

why do you need a USB host?
Mega can only Serial over USB

because I have USB device…