Arduino remote temperature monitoring

I would like to be able to monitor the temperature of my wood burning stove flue pipe via PC. I would need an Arduino (probably an Uno R3), the MAX31855 thermocouple amplifier, Type K thermocouple and Ethernet shield. At this point I don't know where to go. i believe what I want to do is feasible. I have a wired and wireless network, so either option exists. I can access PC's on my network remotely via an app from my smartphone. Currently I use a camera connected to a PC to look at a discreet PID temperature controller that has a thermocouple in the flue pipe. The temperature controller also outputs an alarm (flashing light and audible signal) when the temperature reaches a certain set point (I have it currently set to alarm at 750 F.) I only want to monitor at this point. I may add some sort of control (turn off combustion air) in the future.

My favorite MAX31855 library is https://github.com/RobTillaart/Arduino/tree/master/libraries/MAX31855 because read() returns the status of the read so you can do error checking before using the reading. I'm currently using an Arduino Mega 2560 with an Adafruit MAX31855K breakout board and a W5100 Ethernet module in the homemade temperature controller for my glass annealing kiln. It works great.

compudog: At this point I don't know where to go.

Here's my suggestion:

• Determine what parts you want to use:

• Network interface: I prefer Ethernet but the ESP8266 are cheaper and you won't have to run cable.

• Control system: Even if you're not going to implement this yet, it's much better to design your system to accommodate it from the start than to have to retrofit it later. If you need a driver then you might want to just install it from the start and any connectors needed to attach the control system to your device.

• Cabling: if you are using the MAX31855K breakout board then you will need the right cables to connect it. If you are using Ethernet then you need a long enough cable to reach your router.

• Hardware: mounting screws, standoffs, strain relief, etc

• You might also want to buy a piezo buzzer and LED and any necessary hardware to provide an alarm system at the device.

• Order parts: if you are having things shipped from China, especially this time of year, it will take a long time so order as soon as possible.

• Test parts: use a simple test sketch printing to the serial monitor to get the Ethernet shield and the MAX31855 working separately.

• Prototype your device: connect all the parts together so you can test it as a whole system

• Determine user interface: how will your computer and phone receive and display the network communications from your device? There are many options. I'm using a program called EventGhost and the EtherEvent Arduino library to provide a control GUI on my computer.

• Write the program and test

• Assemble the device in the enclosure and install

• Test

• Share: if you come up with anything that might be useful to others while developing your device then document and publish it. Generally useful code can be turned into a library.

At this point I don't know where to go.

The forum search box on the upper right of this page is a good place to start. Search for post concerning the various components to see previous discussions concerning them.