Arduino RF communication problem

I am currently dealing with a problem with arduino and RF.

I am trying to get wireless communication through RF so that 2 ATMEGA's can converse between one another using Serial. (yes, I know xbees work wonders and yes I have 2 xbees and am currently using them as we speek) My goal is to make this project smaller. Not to use the arduino board itself just the ATMEGA. I was looking at 433MHz transmitter and recievers but I'm worried that if I were to have to different models near each other that they would cross fields and not function properly.

Basically my goal is to have 2 different transmitters and receivers sitting right next to each other and have them only communicate to the ones I want or only be able to communicate to 1 other pair.

Basically my goal is to have 2 different transmitters and receivers sitting right next to each other and have them only communicate to the ones I want or only be able to communicate to 1 other pair.

The pairs will need to be on different frequencies. The XBees are able to broadcast in a very narrow slice of the band that they work in, so several pairs can broadcast without interference in the same band.

Cheap radios can not do this.

I kind of figured that myself too. And there returns my problem of trying to get a communication between two ardiunos cheaply. (or relatively cheap).

I was also looking into the SC2262 and the SC2272. a lot of those are used for similar products like door bell chimes and garage door openers.

Even still idk if those would work, still skeptical on it.

Is there a substitute to the xbees that you know of that is a bit cheaper?

bshellham: I am trying to get wireless communication through RF so that 2 ATMEGA's can converse using Serial..........Basically my goal is to have 2 different transmitters and receivers sitting right next to each other and have them only communicate to the ones I want or only be able to communicate to 1 other pair.

What you want is not particularly clear, but you should be able to do it with bluetooth, and you can't get much cheaper than that. A typical transceiver is about $7. I assume range is the least of your problems.

Correct about range. I can worry about the range of everything later. The only thing is the transmitter and receiver. And tranceiver will not work because I am dealing with 2 different atmegas. (Using the arduino atmega itself without the board) I assume that 1mW of power between the two would be sufficient enough for the range. But yet again. The problem I am dealing with is low cost and to have only 2 communicate. (Say if I have 4 atmegas beside each other, one transmitter to one receiver)

So is the real problem the fact that you are using the arduino atmega itself without the board? ERgo, I suppose, that deprives you of the rx/tx pins used for serial comms?

No, that should not be the problem at all because I still have access to the RX/TX pins. I created a small circuit that acts as an arduino without the board itself. Still being able to communicate with the atmega and able to program it as long as I connect the RX/TX pins, ground, and reset pins to the board.

The only problem that remains is the RF communication. I have the xbees working beautifully but if I were to make 10 projects I need to slim down over all cost. slimming down the xbee cost would be a substantial help to the slimming of the over all cost.

Basically, say I was making a product (in example; a garage door opener) that when a button is pressed it sends a Serial signal to another arduino (x feet away). My neighbor and I have this same product and live right next to each other, I can not have the neighbor push a button and have mine retrieve the signal. Only his must work, and same goes for mine.

As I said before; the xbees work perfect for this. I just wanted to see if someone could help me with finding a cheaper solution that will act the same way with no problems.

Why dont you want to use Sc2262 Sc2272 devices. They will do exactly what you want.

bshellham: No, that should not be the problem at all because I still have access to the RX/TX pins.

Basically, I can not have the neighbor push a button and have mine retrieve the signal. Only his must work, and same goes for mine.

As I said before; the xbees work perfect for this. I just wanted to see if someone could help me with finding a cheaper solution that will act the same way with no problems.

OK, that's clear. Bluetooth $7? I guess that presupposes that, whatever these arduinos are supposed to do, the communications can be set up, but I don't know how the xbee would be any better at this!

I just don't know how well the SC2262 works. I have been trying to gather information on them yesterday and just don't know enough of them..

You say bluetooth will work. Will I be able to send a command from an arduino to another? Say press a button on one arduino and on the other arduino have an lcd screen say "hello there" and when the button is pressed have it say "please come again"? I have never used the bluetooth feature either.

bshellham: You say bluetooth will work. Will I be able to send a command from an arduino to another? Say press a button on one arduino and on the other arduino have an lcd screen say "hello there" and when the button is pressed have it say "please come again"?

The vital advantage for you is that this sort of thing can be done with cheap radios. The fundamental purpose of Bluetooth devices is that they will only correspond with devices that they have been specifically paired with, regardless of other chit-chat in the neighbourhood. When I asked about this a year ago, I got a studied and deafening silence on this forum. It is now clear that this can be done - Arduino to Arduino.

Talking in terms of the cheapo JY-MCU modules, the main requirement is that at least one is a master, the HC-05.

comprehensive detail is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTalx4eJdhU

and there has been stuff on this forum but I cannot find it. Cantin's work is notable in that his two Arduinos connect automatically, and he specifically alludes to the JY-MCU module, no expensive shields required(!)

Reflecting on my previous, I now realise that the setup procedure can be expedited by the producer (you) in that whatever you are trying to produce is distributed with the pairing names and/or passwords pre-loaded - no user input required..

Having said all that, I have yet to do this myself, but I have different purposes anyway. Being discouraged by the lack of response on this, I looked at using NRF24 but moved to using a WiFi repeater instead, thereby using only one Arduino. I just use bluetooth to send data to the phone.