arduino rx tx circuitry

i have my arduino hooked up to a esp8266 running esp link which allows me to enable the pullup resistor it claims is built into the esp but its not working my rx pin stay partially lit and its garbling the data back to the esp. what is the proper way to fix this issue. a 200ohm resistor helps but its still partially lit?

You obviously did something wrong.
But no idea what. I'm sure the issue is somewhere in the parts you didn't post (after >500 posts you should know quite well which parts that are).

notsolowki:
i have my arduino hooked up to a esp8266 running esp link which allows me to enable the pullup resistor it claims is built into the esp but its not working my rx pin stay partially lit and its garbling the data back to the esp. what is the proper way to fix this issue. a 200ohm resistor helps but its still partially lit?

You, directly, connected a 5V rx/tx line from an Arduino to the 3.3V rx/tx lines of a esp8256?

not not al all. i have them connected to a nodemcu which also has resistors between the rx and tx lines then to the arduino nano . however it dont appear to be enough "pullup" i can see the rx light slightly glowing sometimes flickering. it dont seem right to need a 250ohm resistor to pullup the rx on the arduino.

notsolowki:
not not al all. i have them connected to a nodemcu which also has resistors between the rx and tx lines then to the arduino nano . however it dont appear to be enough "pullup" i can see the rx light slightly glowing sometimes flickering. it dont seem right to need a 250ohm resistor to pullup the rx on the arduino.

You do realize that a pull up resistor is not a logic level shifter?

What pins on the ESP are you using for rx/tx?