arduino sends data via sms

hello sir/maam i have a problem about my arduino project our projects aim is to type there i.d number into the keypad and displays it to an lcd then send the grades via sms. i have my codes for for lcd, keypad and gsm shield our problem is on how to link my arduino to my database.

What database? You want to send data via sms to a online database?

A database usually implies the need for quite a bit of memory, which the arduino doesn't have. So either you could look into hooking your arduino to a standard computer using a Processing program, and keep the data base over there, or you could put a data base on an SD card, and use an SD shield with an Arduino.

Not online sir just a database from a computer then the arduino will get the data and send it via sms. I use ethernet shield sir to link my arduino to a computer where my database being saved.

jrdoner:
A database usually implies the need for quite a bit of memory, which the arduino doesn't have. So either you could look into hooking your arduino to a standard computer using a Processing program, and keep the data base over there, or you could put a data base on an SD card, and use an SD shield with an Arduino.

yes sir i use ethernet sheild to link my arduino to a computer. but i have a problem on how to write the code in order that an arduino will get the data from the database. i plan to use mysql connector to interface the arduino to the mysql .

Arduino ethernet can do an http request (post or get) to retrieve data from a database server.

Http request sir?. I dont have any idea about that sir :frowning:

Perhaps you should learn some basics examples with Arduino ethernet as client, before using it in this project.

Ok sir. I just recieve my ethernet shield today :slight_smile:

Hi everyone :slight_smile: im new in making database and sad to say i need to make a database for my proj. That arduino retrieve data to a database and send it via sms :slight_smile: any help pls :slight_smile: thanks.

Is this the same as this thread?

SMS usually refers to sending a communication by means of a GSM shield. You have just got an ethernet shield?

Yes i have my ethernet shield but i got anothet problem . does ethernet shield can be connected directly to the pc ? Without using a router ?

Can you give me some advice what is the first thing i must have to deal with my ethernet shield in order to connect it to my database ? Im so lack of information about arduino and i did many research but no improvement :frowning:

Common threads merged.

damianC:
does ethernet shield can be connected directly to the pc ? Without using a router ?

It is possible but rarely reasonable.

What would be the advantage?

(The disadvantage is to isolate the pc from the LAN/internet (if it is not attached via WiFi or a second port))

(wasted time a bit on that comment)

So you need to send some data "Grades" thru "sms" so you already got the phone numbers of the people you
need to send the sms's.
You got a GMS shiled and you want to display the process on a LCD.

or you could put a data base on an SD card, and use an SD shield with an Arduino.

People buying a lot of shiled the got after that a huge brick of shileds :smiley:

1st You already got Arduino, GMS Shiled, LCD and the "Grades"/"Phone numbers".
2nd You need a Micro SD card module which you will save the permanent phone numbers on a *.txt file and they gonna be extracted when will be necessary to send the "SMS's".

You will connect the GMS shiled program it to get the phone numbers from the SDcard phones.txt and send to each one the exact shorted grades in the 2nd "Grades.txt" file. You will be able to program in that way so the chip will know how to get the phones/data/grades, a easy way is to use excel (1 , phone), (1, name, grade)...etc

I don't see a reason to use the LCD but you can use it as to confirm and see the process of the transmited
messages.

D.60