Arduino sensor shield and motors control

hello, im kinda new to the Arduino business, so im sorry if im not so clear. i have bought an arduino car kit (link) in short, im trying to get the motors to work, and i dont know how to do so in the program. i have connected it as follow: i have an arduino sensor shield v5.0 (picture below) and the L298N motor controller. i have connected the shield to the controller using schematic from this site basically i have connected the wires as he says in the above page:

"The pins used to connect the Arduino to the L298N board are as follows. To make the wiring nice and tidy, I used the lower pins of the “12864 LCD Parallel Interface” on the Sensor Shield.

Wire colour — Sensor Shield — L298N Controller White — VCC — +5V Black — GND — GND Brown — D3 — ENB Red — D2 — IN4 Orange — D4 — IN3 Yellow — D5 — IN2 Green — D7 — IN1 Blue — D6 — ENA"

so my question is which pin numbers should i use in the program to control the motors? does D2, D3 and so on means the digital I/O pins respectively? because its connected to the LCD Parallel interface im kinda mixed up and not sure on how i define the pin number on the program. thanks in advance.

this is the shield im using: |500x489

Use the "D" numbers to refer to the pins or better still give then names by #defining them or declaring variables and use the names in the program.

Why didn't you connect to the explicit row of digital pins on the board ? I hope that you are not expecting to use an LCD display connected to the same pins as the motors.

hey, i used it because i followed the guide in that page, and thats how he did it, im still not quit sure what you mean, for instance if D6 is connected to ENA in the code i just set the pin number 6? whats the difference between the LCD pins and the regular IO digital pins? if i set pin number 6 to output, will i get output on the LCD D6 pin and allso the regular IO pin #6?

for instance if D6 is connected to ENA in the code i just set the pin number 6?

Yes

if i set pin number 6 to output, will i get output on the LCD D6 pin and allso the regular IO pin #6?

It looks like the Arduino pins are brought out to several places on the shield to enable different devices to be easily connected (but not at the same time) so all pins connected to say Arduino digital pin 6 will be at the same state.

By the way, I hope that you are using a separate power supply for the motors as the Arduino itself will not be able to supply enough current and could even be damaged.