Arduino Serial Monitor to read values from Excel

Hi all, does anyone know how to get arduino's serial monitor to read values from an Excel file column?

Thank you!

There is no way to do it directly. You would need to write some script that copies one cell from Excel, switches to the Serial Monitor window, pastes the cell to the Serial Monitor's input field, switches back to the Excel window. That is certainly possible but it's quite hacky. Better would be something that reads the data from a .csv file (which you can save your excel spreadsheet as, and then writes it directly to the serial port.

It might be helpful if you gave a detailed description of what you're trying to accomplish.

If all you want to do is get the Contents of an Excel spreadsheet into the Serial Monitor then save the spreadsheet as a csv file (as pert said), open that file with the Windows text Editor (Notepad), click on Edit and Select All, copy the entire file into the Windows clipboard, open the Serial Monitor and paste the text from the clipboard into the Serial Monitor. That'll work for a one time Thing but would get nerve wracking in the Long run...

Thank you for the replies. I am actually developing an non-intrusive load monitoring system with a Yokogawa Power Meter CW121. My objective of the project was to initially get an arduino mega to extract real time load measurements from the power meter and reflect it on a 4D systems ULCD-43PT-AR touchscreen to monitor household load usage patterns. However, the RS232 communication cable of the power meter is down and I dont have time to get it replaced. Hence, I am manually saving random load measurements in the PC card of the power meter and extracting it to excel file.

The only issue now is that I am not sure how to get the arduino to read specific cell values from the excel so that it could be reflected on the touchscreen.

The only issue now is that I am not sure how to get the arduino to read specific cell values from the excel so that it could be reflected on the touchscreen.

PLX-DAQ is a good google search term.

It does NOT involve the serial monitor application, though.

I believe you can do this with the PLX macro.

JaBa:
If all you want to do is get the Contents of an Excel spreadsheet into the Serial Monitor then save the spreadsheet as a csv file (as pert said), open that file with the Windows text Editor (Notepad), click on Edit and Select All, copy the entire file into the Windows clipboard, open the Serial Monitor and paste the text from the clipboard into the Serial Monitor. That'll work for a one time Thing but would get nerve wracking in the Long run...

Very cool! I didn't think of trying to paste multiple cells into the Serial Monitor input field at once. When I do this either by selecting a section of a column in OpenOffice Calc, or multiple lines from a text file I find that the Arduino receives the data as each cell being separated by a space. That is odd, but will work fine for numerical data. So I think you can skip the save to .csv, open in text editor part of the process. Just copy the data directly from the spreadsheet.