Arduino Serial on Battery?

I'm semi-new to arduino, and I'm trying to create a basic security thing with a ultrasonic sensor powered by a battery that would send output to a computer, and then have another arduino with a buzzer alert me when I'm in my room that someone is coming. I'm really just wondering if an arduino on battery power can send Serial signals to my computer, and then if I can use another arduino to read those signals.
Thanks!

fightingj:
I'm semi-new to arduino, and I'm trying to create a basic security thing with a ultrasonic sensor powered by a battery that would send output to a computer, and then have another arduino with a buzzer alert me when I'm in my room that someone is coming. I'm really just wondering if an arduino on battery power can send Serial signals to my computer, and then if I can use another arduino to read those signals.
Thanks!

As long as it is physically connected to your computer it will be able to send serial data to the computer- but if it going to be connected then why not just power it from the computer anyway?

I'm really just wondering if an arduino on battery power can send Serial signals to my computer,

Yes it can.

But if you are sending the signals to a computer what is the point because the computer's USB can power the setup, no need for batteries.

and then if I can use another arduino to read those signals.

The serial output can drive another Arduino as well, still no need for batteries.

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear. I plan on placing the sensor in a different room, on battery power, so it wouldn't be able to connect to the USB.

Are the 2 Arduinos connected to each other? I think a diagram would help here. You can draw one up, take a cell phone pic, and post it. Or use powerpoint, save as .jpg, and post it. Or any of several other means.

fightingj:
Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear. I plan on placing the sensor in a different room, on battery power, so it wouldn't be able to connect to the USB.

How are you planning to get the serial data from the Arduino to a computer without wires?

fightingj:
Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear.

No, you clearly did not. :grinning:

As so often happens here, you believe you have described what you are thinking, but in fact you forget that it is only you thinking about it!

You refer to "Serial signals", but what type of serial signals do you propose? Signals by wire? Signals by Wireless? Telepathy?

We seem to be having some difficulty getting you to explain this! :astonished: