Arduino Serial to Raspberry Pi

Hey all,

I am working on my senior project and have hit a snag. I am using an Arduino Uno connected to a load cell that generates a serial output for the pound force put on the load cell. My team is trying to make it so the serial monitor data is exported through the internet to a webpage on our Raspberry Pi. We have the serial monitor exporting to a text file but are not sure how to make it communicate with the RPi.

Any thoughts or ideas would help.

Thanks,

Tony

We have the serial monitor exporting to a text file but are not sure how to make it communicate with the RPi.

What is "it"?

How do you have the Serial Monitor exporting to a text file? That is not a feature of the Serial Monitor application delivered by the Arduino team.

Where is the Serial Monitor application running? On the Pi?

At it's most basic level... the USB interface on the arduino becomes a virtual RS232 device to the host it is attached to. So, attach the arduino to the RPI using USB. You can quickly cobble up about 10-20 lines (or less) of python code on the RPI to capture serial data communications to/from the arduino. After you have that... getting it to the webserver should be easy.

@piselloa, please do not cross-post.

@PaulS:

By “it” i was referring to the Arduino. I was using a third party program to export the serial monitor to a text file called “Gobetwino”. This however gave me more issues than resolving anything. I had the serial monitor running on the RPi.

@pwillard:

I am very unfamiliar with Python. Could you point me to an example or somewhere to start from? Sorry for my lack of coding skills but Python is not thoroughly covered for my major.

@CodingBadly:

sorry for the cross-post. I just wasnt sure where to post this originally.

Thanks for you help!

You could use any two pins on the Arduino, and SoftwareSerial, to send data to two pins on the PI.

You could use any two pins on the Arduino, and SoftwareSerial, to send data to two pins on the PI.

Not really a good idea because the Raspberry Pi is running on 3V3 and the Arduino on 5V. The probability to damage the Pi is quite high.

Not really a good idea because the Raspberry Pi is running on 3V3 and the Arduino on 5V. The probability to damage the Pi is quite high.

Use a 3.3V Due or voltage converter. It's allowed to be smarter than the problem.

I had forgotten that, if I ever knew it.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=169537.msg1261607#msg1261607

Plan A~E